Re: [tips_and_tricks] Jackpot!

  • eugene baudin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
      take the 900,000 in silver

      --- MFurtado <res1a4ck@...> wrote:

      > I have a cousin just back from Vegas where he and
      > his wife hit a 1.7 million dolar progressive
      > jackpot.
      >
      > They are being offered $85,000 per year for 20
      > years, or $900,000 one time, meaning the phaquen
      > gubermint wants nearly half of it.
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Mel

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • danny wayne
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005

        In Australia the people figured out years ago when govn. tried to tax them..The tax had already been paid on the dollar that bought that and every ticket.  So, the Aussies said no, that would be a double tax.  So, if you win  1.7 mil you get 1.7 mil.

        dan

        >I have a cousin just back from Vegas where he and his wife hit a 1.7 million dolar progressive jackpot.
        >
        >They are being offered $85,000 per year for 20 years, or $900,000 one time, meaning the phaquen gubermint wants nearly half of it.
        >
        >Any ideas?
        >
        >Mel
      • Richard Harlos
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
          Take the lump sum and be done with them. Go buy silver and gold with part of
          the money as a nest egg and live off the rest of it. pick an amount to live
          on.
          Rich. H.
          >> I have a cousin just back from Vegas where he and
          >> his wife hit a 1.7 million dolar progressive
          >> jackpot.
          >>
          >> They are being offered $85,000 per year for 20
          >> years, or $900,000 one time, meaning the phaquen
          >> gubermint wants nearly half of it.
          >>
          >> Any ideas?
          >>
          >> Mel

          > http://mail.yahoo.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Balsaman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2005
            Hi group

            It is my firsthand knowledge here in the USA and especially NJ that...........
            Most of the lottery winners are usually back to the income level ( or worse) they were at before they won.

            Now of course the ones who win 50 Million as a example usually are not broke.

            85K x 20 = 1.7
            3 years of saving ( in what ever form ) = 255K

            Regards
            JR

            > I have a cousin just back from Vegas where he and
            > his wife hit a 1.7 million dolar progressive
            > jackpot.
            >
            > They are being offered $85,000 per year for 20
            > years, or $900,000 one time, meaning the phaquen
            > gubermint wants nearly half of it.
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > Mel

          • leos
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2005
              Take all the money up front. Ever hear of the time value of money? what is 85k going to be worth in 20 years compared to what its worth today? What was 85k worth in 1985 compared to today? It would buy a small house back then. Would it today? Hell NO!

              http://www.nod32.com