drivers licensing and social security numbers

  • jm367@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 62 , Mar 29, 2005
      The collection by the "States" of social security numbers
      was mandated by Congress in Public Law 104-193.

      I found the reference in Washington State Codes in RCW
      25.23.140 in which it states:

      "The federal personal responsiblity and work opportunity reconciliation
      act of
      1996, P.L. 104-193, requires states to collect social security numbers
      as part
      of the application process for professional licenses, driver's licenses,
      occupational
      licenses, and recreational licenses."

      So I went looking at Public Law 104-10 and found 110 Stat, 2220 under
      Sec. 317 "COLLECTION AND USE OF SOCIAL SECURITY NUBMERS FOR
      USE IN CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT.

      Section 446(a) (42 U.S. C. 666(a)), as amended by section 315
      of this Act, is amended by inserting after paragraph (12) the following
      new paragraph:
          "(13 RECORDING OF SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS IN CERTAIN FAMILY
      MATTERS.-Procedures
      requiring that the social security number of-
          "(A) any applicant for a professional license, commercial driver's
      license,
      occupation license, or marriage license be recorded on the application;
          "(B) any individual who is subject to a divorce decree,
      support order, or paternity determinatoin or acnowledgement be placed
      in the records relating to the matter; and
          "(C) and indivudual who has died be placed in the records relating
      to the
      death and be recorded on the death certificate.
      For purposes of subparagraph (A), if a State allows the use of a number
      other than the social security number, the State shall so advise any
      applicants.".

      Note the list of kinds of licenses that require the recordation of
      a Social Security number - "professional license, commercial driver's
      license, occupation license, or marriage license"

      HMMM  - so if you have been denied the renewal of your drivers'
      license - which one do you have????   MUST BE A COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S
      LICENSE!!!

      This all in the guise of 'CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT'.

      The Washington State Code references "recreational licenses", however
      the Federal Law the State is basing the requirment says no such thing.
      They reference "Commercial Driver's license" only.

      Carrol----- Original Message -----