child abuse / custody

  • jdi_chatter_box
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hello,

      I am a new member and I am hoping to find someone who has gone
      through what I am. I will try to make this brief. I currently have
      temporary custody of my nephew through a protective order (in the
      state of maryland). His mother was abusing him (shaking) and she
      neglected him. He has been in my care since he was 4mon. and he is
      now 18mon. His mother was never charged with child abuse. They did
      charge her with reckless endangerment as a juvenile and for some
      reason I was not notified of that hearing (another story) so I
      really do not know the outcome of that. She has had supervised
      visits with him since the beginning of this. I have filed for sole
      and physical custody. She is not going to contest custody (for now)
      but she is going to contest visitation. My guess is she wants
      unsupervised and she will later contest custody after she gets her
      life together. My husband and I want to adopt him. I do think she
      would contest the adoption because she says she hopes to be able to
      raise him in a couple of years. I have many concerns for my nephew
      and there is no doubt that she will abuse and neglect him again. I
      have heard that it is very hard to get someones parental rights
      terminated. Has anyone been through this and does anyone know of
      any loop holes that I have missed? I have left out many details so
      if you have any questions please ask. Please send me any advice you
      may have.

      Thanks