Motion question

  • abzalootly
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hope someone can answer this one....
      When a court does not rule on a motion in a timely manner -[almost 3
      weeks have passed]
      What recourse does the movant have?

      Thanks
    • gary
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
        This depends on several things like, what the rules are for filing and having a motion heard in that state and in that court, what type of motion it is, etc.  Need more info about the motion, state and court before answering.

        Gary
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2005
          Hey abzalootly
          You might try reading your rules of court, the answer may be in there.
          Or call the Judges assistant as ask when you can expect an answer.

          In Freedom

          Larry

        • scott
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
            I haven't done this yet however I was doing some research with some friends and I heard that you can file for a Hearing to hear the motion you filed.  I am looking at doing this on a case I am involved with.  Will keep you posted.  This is not confirmed yet.
            Scott Williams
          • gary
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
              Motion practice can be a real pain, depending on the particular state and court rules what it takes to have a motion heard varies.  In many states you - the movant - must set a hearing date.  In some states the court sets the hearing date.

              A few states have strange rules, like Utah, where you file a motion and send it to the other side and they have time to file a response and then you have time respond to the response.  After that, either side can file a request for the motion to be heard.  That last part is - for some reason - not in the rules of procedure, it is in the administrative rules of court with a bunch of totally unrelated crap.

              In some counties in PA, you have to "submit" a motion and there is a hearing set by the ciurt but, this hearing is not to decide the motion it is for the judge to decide if your motion is ok - properly written - and if ok, the motion is then filed and the other side gets to respond.  After that, you file a request for the clerk to place it on the motion calander

              Never forget to check the local rules for the court you are in.

              Gary
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2005

                I think some questions should be raised here...

                Where in the "rules of the courts" are rules for filing "SUI JURIS" ?

                there is none that I could find.

                Filing motions are for "persons".

                Who are required to follow the "rules of the courts"? "persons"?