power of attorney

  • redrhino999
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
      when my girlfriend was incarcerated she signed a general power of
      attorney nameing me as the attorney in fact. We live in california
      and according to the noterised document it said i was intitled to any
      and all papers, reports,ect.,ect.,that she was intitled to. But so far
      no one will honer this power of attorney. I followed the instructions
      to the letter and had it noterised right there at the jail.
      Can any one tell me if i have any legal grounds against any one not
      honoring this power of attorney??? Or do they have the right to refuse???
    • gary
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
        When you say no one will honor the Power of Attorney, who exactly is "no one" and what are you trying to do for your girlfriend?  I have had PA for several people and never had a problem doing stuff for them.  The only thing it doesn't let you do is represent them in court.

        Gary
        when my girlfriend was incarcerated she signed  a general power of
        attorney  nameing me as the attorney in fact. We live in california
        and according to the noterised document it said i was intitled to any
        and all papers, reports,ect.,ect.,that she was intitled to. But so far
        no one will honer this power of attorney. I followed the instructions
        to the letter and had it noterised right there at the jail.
        Can any one tell me if i have any legal grounds  against any one not
        honoring this power of attorney???  Or do they have the right to refuse???

        This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
        http://www.nod32.com
      • JD
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
          Depending on the use of a POA, there may be certain limitations that must be added to be universally accepted.  For instance, my daughter's POA contains the provision that it expires on:
          1.  End of year.
          2.  Should she become married.
          3.  Event that she could become incapable of carrying out the duties of the POA.

          There could be other items added or removed from a general or specific POA. Mine is specific, and has been accepted to all she presented it to.