jail transfer

  • redrhino999
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
      can some one ask to do their sentence in the county were they live if
      it is not the county they were sentenced in?
    • robert halbrook
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        yes if both countries have an agreement example us and mexico does but if you are convicted of a felony in a forgien country and they exchange you for another prisoner in the US you are considered a convicted felon in the US and lose your gun and voting rights even if your felony in the other country was not a crime anywhere in the US

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005

          redrhino999 <redrhino999@y...> wrote:

          can some one ask to do their sentence in the county were they live if it is not the county
          they were sentenced in?

          I meant state of California, COUNTY to COUNTY. Sorry about that, thanks.
        • robert halbrook
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2005
            it is generally state policy to warehouse inmates as far from friends and family as posssible to prevent escape plans[ yeah right] it is their way of rub it in rub it in

          • DrJoAnnaJones@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2005
              I'm a little bit of  an authority here, as my brother and step son have spent a little time staying in a government facility...and I have found that they are transferred to areas where it is more convenient for the families to visit, if at all possible and depending on their "attitude" while residents of the county.  Just another families experience....but attitude, etc., has a lot to do with where you are and also the degree of the crime.

              It still comes down to "don't do the crime if you can't do the time", they never promised convenience when you go against society.    Sorry I'm not real compassionate here....too many years of trips to the county jail where I have been exposed to TB, etc., just so I can hear the same sad story that it wasn't their fault.