Re: [tips_and_tricks] Sample of a brief

  • mel
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2004
      I have several samples of briefs. What is it that you
      want it to do, and I can send you a sample brief,
      either one out of the books, or one that I composed
      myself. Your brief will contain 1) your
      jurisdictional statement - why the court must take
      jurisdiction to hear your claim, or a challenge to
      jurisdiction, 2) Tell the judge in simple
      language(actually law clerks behind the scenes who
      can't be held accountable) what you intend to state,
      and the question before the court, that it must
      decide, which should not take more than a couple of
      pages 3) On a separate attached paper, will be your
      memorandum of points and authorities, in which you
      state what happened, using the language as written in
      the documents you are relying on for your
      interpretation. This can be as long as it needs to
      be, but be warned that in the judges training tapes I
      used to distribute, that you can get from Right Way
      Law now, the judges are being trained that if the
      memorandums are more than a couple of pages, then your
      argument is presumed weak. Therefore make sure that
      you make an adequate argument, yet terse. Then you
      attach your Affidavit, in which you tell what happened
      in a 1, 2, 3, sequence of events, sworn under penalty
      of perjury, and can be notarized, but is not necessary
      all the time. You decide. After that you attach all
      documents, exhibits, attachments, case law, letters,
      what every you have that backup your premises outlined
      in the memorandum of points and authorities,
      affidavit, and brief. If the brief is long, such as
      more than a few pages, make sure to make a table of
      contents, and Index of authorities. Next, make sure
      to do a proof of service. What I do is make a copy of
      the brief,for the court and myself, to be stamped by
      the clerk, one for the judge, and the other side (does
      not require stamping), then I put the proof of service
      on top of the entire document, with a table of
      contents included, which looks just like a brief, with
      a space for the clerk to stamp, get one for the court
      to stamp, and one for my copy, because alot of
      agencies and crooked attorneys will attempt to make
      the court believe that (1) they were never served, or
      2) they weren't served the entire document. so the
      complete document is in the record, with a proof of
      service right on the top top, with a copy again of the
      entire brief and attachments. anyway write me back
      with what kind of brief you need.

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250