tax garnishment

  • Frances-Jo
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16, 2004
      What is the law and where is it on the maximum that IRS can garnish from
      pay? Thanks.
    • Bob law
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 5, 2004
        I am not sure as to how much they can take other than
        almost all of it if one doesn't fill out their forms.
        If one files out their forms then they must make
        allowance for alot of your monthly expenses which is
        found in their IRM 5300 Manual-Balance Due Account
        Procedures- at section 5323 (4)(a)(1) through (4).

        > What is the law and where is it on the maximum that
        > IRS can garnish from
        > pay?

        http://vote.yahoo.com
      • Roger
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2004
          28 USC §3104. Start with §3001 and as you work your way through, you
          will find that your pay is not subject to garnishment under the law,
          UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Now, will the courts follow the law? NO.

          --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, Bob law <saveyourpay@y...>
          wrote:

          > I am not sure as to how much they can take other than
          > almost all of it if one doesn't fill out their forms.
          > If one files out their forms then they must make
          > allowance for alot of your monthly expenses which is
          > found in their IRM 5300 Manual-Balance Due Account
          > Procedures- at section 5323 (4)(a)(1) through (4).
          >

          > > What is the law and where is it on the maximum that
          > > IRS can garnish from
          > > pay?

          > http://vote.yahoo.com
        • David L. Miner
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 15, 2004
            Roger --

            Pardon my injection into the discussion but there is one fact that must be
            made clear.

            The IRS does not garnish any paycheck. It LEVIES a paycheck. This is a
            totally different issue (according to the IRS and certain courts), and one
            NOT subject to 28 USC 3104 concerning garnishment.

            Perhaps more important is the fact that the IRS doesn't truly LEVY a
            paycheck, it sends a Notice of Levy, which is only valid when the fed govt
            levies the paycheck of a federal employee. A Notice of Levy is NOT a
            levy -- two separate forms and two separate sets of procedures.

            Either way, the statutes concerning garnishing do not apply to an IRS levy.

            Just thought you might want to know.

            Yours in freedom,

            Dave Miner
            www.FreedomSite.net

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 17, 2004
              Dave, you are incorrect about levy. 28 USC §3002 defines all things
              subject to the Federal Debt Collection Procedure Act. You will
              find "tax" there in §3002 (3)(B). Taxes are the IRS' domain last I
              checked. Furthermore, "§3102 (d) Levy of attachment" is included
              within the act. As I said before, start with §3001 and work your way
              through, to §3104.

              --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Miner"
              <dminer@f...> wrote:

              > Roger --
              >
              > Pardon my injection into the discussion but there is one fact that
              must be
              > made clear.
              >
              > The IRS does not garnish any paycheck. It LEVIES a paycheck. >
              > ---
            • David L. Miner
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 17, 2004
                Roger --

                Never heard of the IRS claiming to garnish a paycheck. And never heard of a
                judge calling an IRS levy to be a garnishment. On the other hand, I have
                reviewed many court cases where the IRS claims the levy is different from a
                garnishment, and where judges agree with the IRS.

                I am not saying that you are wrong in your view of the laws, especially of
                the stated sections. I am only saying that the IRS disagrees with you and
                normally gets the judge to agree with its views and not with your views.
                One of the reasons why the IRS gets away with its claims and its activities
                is the fact that the Internal Revenue Code never mentions garnishment, and
                it specifically describes levy.

                Please understand that the IRS violates the tax laws every day. So it is no
                stretch to imagine the IRS breaks the garnishment statutes. I am only
                saying that the IRS is generally effective at exempting itself and its
                actions from the garnishment statutes.

                Another reason the IRS is usually successful in avoiding the garnishment
                laws is because the FDCPA does not always differentiate between federal
                taxes in general and federal income taxes in particular. The IRS claims the
                restrictions of the FDCPA relate to federal taxes in a general sense.
                Federal taxes in a general sense have nothing to do with federal income
                taxes in a specific sense. The ONLY federal taxes that involve the IRS are
                specifically listed in the Internal Revenue Code. All other federal taxes
                have nothing to do with the IRS. So the IRS takes the position, aided by
                many federal judges, that the FDCPA does not apply to the IRS except in
                certain limited situations. This allows the IRS to proclaim the FDCPA
                limitations on garnishments do not apply to the IRC levies issues and
                collected by the IRS.

                What we need to do is effectively challenge the contention by the IRS that
                an IRS levy is not a garnishment. SO far, I have not seen that effective
                challenge.

                Yours in freedom,

                Dave Miner
                www.FreedomSite.net

              • nickster97@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 18, 2004
                  Dave,

                  In some respects you are correct, and some you are incorrect. A levy
                  is a Levy and not a garnshment. Can the IRS Levy on property it
                  already owns? On Federal Land and Government Employees? You bet!

                  What about those that are not of that jurisdiction? No they can't. So,
                  how does the IRS get away with it? IT is called the presumption. Look
                  at every tax case that you can. What is the presumption?

                  The presumption is that you are a US PERSON residing within one of the
                  50 states, IF you are not in that jurisidiction. The trick, is
                  REBUTTING that presumption.

                  wrote:

                  > What we need to do is effectively challenge the contention by the
                  IRS that
                  > an IRS levy is not a garnishment. SO far, I have not seen that
                  effective
                  > challenge.
                  >
                  > Yours in freedom,
                  >
                  > Dave Miner
                  > www.FreedomSite.net

                • David L. Miner
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 19, 2004
                    Nick --

                    Actually, I am correct in everything I said. But the conclusions or
                    assumptions you or others draw from my comments are probably NOT correct.

                    You are correct in that the IRS operates almost exclusively on presumption.
                    This was my point.

                    But you cannot combat an IRS levy by asserting that it is not following the
                    laws concerning garnishment. Nor can you combat the IRS by asserting that
                    you are not a 14th Amendment US citizen. Nor can you combat the IRS by
                    asserting you are not within its jurisdiction. There are many accurate
                    claims available, but they will not stop the IRS.

                    I have been fighting the IRS effectively for almost 15 years, both for me
                    and for a couple thousand clients. The ONLY means I have found to
                    effectively fight the IRS is to get (force!) it to change the PRESUMPTIONS
                    in your Individual Master File. The IRS is pursuing someone for returns or
                    for taxes ONLY because their IMF lists them as a taxpayer, as a business, as
                    one who is using another's SSN, etc. Or a combination of the above. Or ALL
                    the above.

                    You can assert all sorts of arguments when corresponding with the IRS, but
                    you will still lose. Once you have forced the IRS to change your IMF to
                    reflect ONLY facts, then the IRS will leave you alone.

                    I have not seen the other arguments or positions or "facts" stop the IRS
                    except temporarily.

                    The really sad part is the fact that few judges will hold the IRS
                    accountable to the laws. Possibly because very few judges understand the
                    laws, and possibly because a few judges are crooked, and possibly because of
                    any number of other reasons. But almost no one will be successful in
                    challenging the IRS through letters making claims or stating beliefs or even
                    quoting the laws. The IRS will ignore the letters and follow the
                    presumptions in the IMF.

                    If there is a "silver bullet" to use against the IRS, it lies within the
                    IMF. It does not lie within the laws. These are excellent supporting
                    arguments when facing a judge, but they will not stop the IRS.

                    Yours in freedom,

                    Dave Miner
                    www.FreedomSite.net