Re: Insurance required... IDP's

  • Occupant Family
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2004
      Greetings,

      The 1st invalidity statement is inaccurate and false. I, and several
      acquaintances, have travelled on the IDP for over 10 years with only one incident wherein it was not accepted at face value.

      MODERATOR/Bear: I've been traveling on one issued from Israel for two years without incident. I have been stopped twice and contacted once and walked away all three times without incident.

      There are some procedural matters that must be properly done, like using only your 1st & middle Name and not the Family name thereon and using your conception date" instead of a "birth date".

      MODERATOR/Bear: That is essentially what I did.

      If one is not in the system, then the system cannot address him or her,
      let alone "ticket" the holder!

      MODERATOR/Bear: On one of the stops they kept trying to get me to tie myself to an address. I told them, "I think I remember the address of the hotel I'm staying at." Part of the reason they let me go was related to not being able to hang a state recognized address on me.

      The 2nd statement is also inaccurate & false and the IDP is ONLY
      inapplicable in the "country of issue". Matters not where one lives! Mine for instance is issued by the British West Indies.

      Deo volente,
      Jim

      Blessed be the Lord my rock, that teacheth my hands to war,
      and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1

      > Get a state license from some state [like, duh!]. The International
      > Driver Permit, at least as offered through AAA, is not valid UNLESS
      > ACCOMPANIED by a valid driver license. Even then, the IDP is not
      > valid in the country you live in, only in "foreign" countries.

      MODERATOR/Bear: They are very interested in where you reside; don't tell them that.