Re: [tips_and_tricks] Any real estate experts out there?????????????

  • DrJoAnnaJones@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2004
      Linda:

      In CA full disclosure is full disclosure...I am married to an Illinois guy and we have had to deal with the sale,etc of his Mom's home when she passed away.  My understanding is that all real estate transactions [paperwork] in Ill are done by attorneys see many conflicts in your story...the owner says he noticed the a/c-heat  wasn't working when the contractor finished..then why didn't he pursue the contractor.  the contractor says the owner wanted it that way.....are there registers in the rooms? if so what is there function? was there additional ducting needed to bring a/c-heat into those rooms.

      Point - if the registers are int he rooms and they have no function then you were mislead as to a/c-heat being in those rooms.  If there are no registers in the rooms then you had no reason to believe that there was a/c-heat in the rooms.   Personally I cannot see a reasonable person buying a home in Ill or anywhere else without both a/c and heat.  Look back at the listing paperwork...does it say [or imply] that there is a/c-heat throughout the house?  If not they may be able to get you on a technicality.

      Get your real estate agent into this.  They earned a nice piece of change on you and if they misrepresented you may have recourse....we do in CA... and get your attorney to get you with a real estate professional.

      Also, if you are having problems with the contractor...maybe you should find someone yourself to do the work...then you become the boss and not the haranguer of the old contractor.

      I would take the money, get the work done so that my family doesn't get sick, but not let anyone wipe their hands of the mess unless there is definitely not any fraud involved.

      Sometimes these things are what they seem and sometimes they are not...but get the right folks in your corner...real estate is too gray an area to handle yourself...I know I did it for years working my way through college.

      Hope I helped a little...and good luck..