Re: [tips_and_tricks] Court admits long briefs may not be read

  • John Wilde
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
      That's been my philosophy.  Any complaint more than 5 pages long, except in the most complicated of cases (which many of us usually don't get involved in), is saying way to much.  "Just the facts ma'am" is the motto any pleading drafter should adopt.  That's why more than 80% of my clients get answers and not motions to dismiss.  Getting an answer is 75% of the battle.

      g'day
      John Wilde

      Legalbear wrote:

      Despite repeated admonishments by this [**2]  Court, counsel seem compelled to deluge  [*481]  this Court, and opposing counsel with paper. This case was filed on May 10, 1985, and to this date the issues are not yet joined even though the files are five (5) inches thick (by actual measurement). Counsel are of the apparent belief that the quality of their briefs is measured in pounds and they forget that the readership of a document is inversely proportional to its length.  In re Storage Technology Corp., 55 B.R. 479, 481