TRW reporting & verification of debt

  • delrio
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2004
      Does anyone know how to respond to creditors who claim you owe a sum of money that you would like a little proof of? Like verification of a debt?
      If they do not provide this, isn't it that they cannot claim you defaulted on the debt?

      Here's the story:
      It turns out that AT&T had put our cell phone number under 3 different account numbers. They turned off the cell phone because they claimed the account (one of the accounts numbers) had been past due for several months. So we asked for an accounting of all three accounts (of the same phone number with 3 different account numbers) for the past twelve months, June 2003 to June 2004 - what was charged and what we paid each month.
      For the most part, it seems like they just switched the balance to a different account number every couple of months, but we wanted to verify this.
      So after we asked for past bills for 12 months, we received a copy of the bill from just May 2004. It took close to an hour to hold on the phone before they answer and then they don't even send you what you requested!
      So anyway, I am now writing A LETTER (as in, get it in writing) requesting bilss for 12 months for each account number aka verification of the debt  that they are charging.

      Anyway, isn't it that they cannot administratively claim default on the debt until they answer my demand for proof, and thus, cannot put the claim of debt on our TRW/credit bureau accounts?