Re: using Digital Camera to copy reference material

  • Mark Ferran
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5 7:03 PM
      Don:

      I use a 3.1 MP digital camera to copy ancient text and maps and documents from the State Archives allot.  They have no photocopiers there.   I also use a 3.1 MP digital camera to informally copy "Deeds" and records on file in the County Clerks office, where copies cost 25 cents/page.

      To use a Digital Camera to "copy" a page of text, you need at least 2 MP (MegaPixels) and 3.1 MP is much more preferable (costs about $ 125 now).  More than 3 MP is generally unnecessary for copying a page of text.  Some (cheaper) cameras may not be able to focus on objects within 1 foot.  A "Macro" setting on the digital camera will be best for smaller pages or details or fine print.    A Tripod can help steady the shot.   Once the photos are in the digital camera, download (open) them into a photo program (or PaperPort software) and change the "image type" to Black/White or Just save them to "TIFF Group 4" format.  You can use "Photo Wizzards" (like in PaperPort) to increase Contrast/detail if you want to.  Never delete the original photograph files (JPEGs)  Burn to CDs if you run out of hard-drive space.

      Some shareware or commercial programs may have "batch" processing capabilities.  PaperPort has almost "batch" processing capabilities.  Just select a multitude of images and "save as" TIFF and they will be processed in series, but you have to click-through (save) each photo.

      Subject: [JAIL-SoundOff] using a digital camera to copy reference material - your success.....

      Does anyone in any of the groups posted, have a quick and cheap method of
      using a digital camera to "photo" pages of a book etc., then to download such
      into a computer file? Tell me if and how you have done this, not that it can be done.