Advice on auto accident

  • Mark E
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
      Hi all,

      My name is Mark and I am new to the group and need of little advice.

      My car has hit in my employees parking lot by a PA driver (I'm in DE).  She was incredibly rude, insisting that I was a jerk for asking for her insurance info.

      When pressed for it, she stated that she did not have auto insurance.  I took her license plate number and she then gave me an insurance card to another vehicle.  I copied all the info from the insurance card and then she drove off.

      The police were taking too long, so I went to the police station to file my report.  They verified that a man (assuming her husband) owns the vehicle and the name and address matched the name from the insurance info that I got from the lady.

      The police are in the process of trying to contact the person who owns the vehicle.  In the meantime, I was wondering what I should be doing to help myself.  Can I file a complaint because she had no insurance?  How long should I allow the local police to investigate?  Is there anything that I need to know since the driver/car are from PA?  And what are my options is she/he does not have insurance?

      Thanks in advance,
      Mark

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Utlage
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2004
        They verified that a man (assuming her husband) owns the vehicle and the name and address matched the name from the insurance info that I got from the lady.
        I would get 3 estimates to repair my car and file a complaint with a copy of the highest estimate with the insurance company that you have the info for.  File it under the owner of the cars name and add the woman's name to it.

        If you have insurance, you can just file with your company and give them all the info including a copy of the police report you filed and they will go after the other driver/responsible party for you, that is their job.

          If you were in Texas, you would send a claim to the Texas State Comptroller.  She’s the one in charge of the fleet of vehicles which belong to the state, which would include your car and the lady’s car.  Since your car belongs to the state and when you don’t comply and buy insurance for their vehicle, they have to stand good for the damage.  I’d find out who the Treasurer or comptroller of the state of PA is and send her/him a claim for damages.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2004
            Dessie,

            That's OK.  It seems that there might be a happy ending after all.

            Instead of waiting for the "process" to move along, I decided to take matters in to my own hands.

            Since the driver gave me an insurance card from a different vehicle, I played dumb and called that insurance company with the claim.  I gave them the tag number, along with the vehicles registered owner/address.  They came back a few hours later stating that they would start the claim.  They simply need to contact the other party to verify the accident.

            It shouldn't have any negative impact, as I have all their info, plus 2 witnesses.  So I sentover my estimate and hopefully they will fix my car!

            I will post more when I hear back.

            Thanks for all the feedback.

            Mark