Do you need to get a business license in order to start a business?

  • fastmuscleman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
      Do you need to get a business license in order to start a business?
      I know this sounds like a dumb question.

      Does not the license itself, subject us to the tax as an entity?

      What business taxes do we have to legally pay?

      I here a lot of state horror stories regarding this issue.

      Can you use a name for your company without getting a license?

      Please email me, if you do not want any spies to know.
    • David Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
        1st question: sure, if you *want* pay taxes, then you
        *have* to get a license (so the answer is "yes", it
        hooks you in for taxes :-).

        2nd question: If you're involved in liquor
        distribution, then you have to get a license and pay
        the taxes. They are authorized to collect taxes on
        that and interstate commerce.

        3rd question: they cannot prevent you from going by an
        assumed name in receiving compensation for your
        labors. You have no income (a tax code definition),
        just "compensation for labor". Untaxable.

        --- fastmuscleman <m.schrader1@...> wrote:
        > Do you need to get a business license in order to
        > start a business?
        > I know this sounds like a dumb question.
        >
        > Does not the license itself, subject us to the tax
        > as an entity?
        >
        > What business taxes do we have to legally pay?
        >
        > I here a lot of state horror stories regarding this
        > issue.
        >
        > Can you use a name for your company without getting
        > a license?
        >
        > Please email me, if you do not want any spies to
        > know.

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • rbisdone
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
          Depends on which state and then county or city you reside in. Some
          counties do not require a license is the business is home operated and
          does not involve food.

          Most banks will not allow you to open an account in a business name
          with a tax ID or business license.

          --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "fastmuscleman"