Swan Income Tax Trial Postponed 3 More Days

  • Steven Swan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2004
      All,

      My trail on 18 felony violations of violating the internal revenue laws while utilizing and promoting the income tax theories of Irwin Schiff was supposed to begin next Tuesday, February 3rd. However, the Government was 3 days late in providing me with its Witness List, its Exhibits List, Fed. Rules of Evidence 404(b) Material (challenging my character) and its request for Special Voir Dire ( I was supposed to receive it no later than 7 days prior to trial), so yesterday I filed an emergency motion for a continuance.

      The judge called a hearing for this afternoon where he ruled that Jury Selection will still take place on Tuesday, February 3rd, but that the trial itself will be postponed 3 days (to Friday, February 6th) to make up for the Government's negligence.

      The Government had also filed a very extensive Motion in Limine to try to prevent me from entering into evidence much of the material I relied upon to form my belief that there was no law making the federal income tax mandatory (i.e. all of the Schiff material I own; the fact that I conducted seminars promoting Irwin's material; etc.) (The Government is arguing that I willfully and knowingly violated the law. I am arguing that because I (and many thousands of others) was thoroughly convinced that what Irwin Schiff was saying was correct, I never believed that there was a law making the federal income tax mandatory. Therefore, I could not have willfully and knowingly violated the law. My whole trial is about whether or not I had any criminal intent.)

      The judge denied the Government's Motion in Limine and at the hearing today the judge told me that I would be able to enter all kinds of evidence showing what my beliefs were and how I formed those beliefs, including all of my Irwin Schiff material.

      In addition, I informed the judge that I was going to stipulate to (agree with) just about all of the evidence which the Government is going to use against me (my Amended Zero Returns [the Government isn't charging me with filing any zero returns, only 2 Amended Zero Returns], 15 Zero Returns I prepared for others, and all of the statements I made over the years [my seminars promoting Schiff's material, my Web site, my writings, etc.]) I told the judge that I am going to stipulate to just about everything--everything except for the fact that I had any criminal intent. The judge said "That's music to my ears because it will make you trial that much shorter. (The Government has given me a list of 701 potential exhibits it may introduce at trial as well as a list of 28 witnesses it may call to the stand to testify against me. What the Government would like to do it take a few days to present its case in order to try to portray me as an extremely evil person. However, hopefully my stipulations will be able to negate some of that.)

      Steve Swan