Re: [tips_and_tricks] Stoping pop ups. please help

  • c==[:::ComeAndTakeIt:::>
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29 8:47 AM
      I understand your frustration with pop-up, its things like that that prompted me to persue a degree in network security but the last thing we need is more government to deal with problems that we ourselves can controll. The solution is very simple (then again anything is easy once you know how). if you are using windows 98, disable file share in network neighborhood and if windows 2000, got to administrative tools >> Services and Applications >> Services - and disable NetBIOS. Hope this helps

      In Liberty

      H8sBARattorneys
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2004
        BEAR> This thread is a little off topic now, but I feel as though the
        previous statement on this thread needs to be debunked. My purpose is to
        set the record straight, and not flame anyone. Hope that happens
        correctly-

        Ummm... H8sBARattorneys,

        What you propose will do absolutely NOTHING to prevent popups. Sharing a
        folder on your home (or otherwise) network has absolutely nothing to do
        with popup ads from web pages. I will admit, I am not going to do any
        research on "POP-UP" as I believe you are referring to popup ads, which
        occur here and there, as revenue generation, for web sites..

        If you share directories (folders) between computers on your home (or
        work) network, and turn this off, then your shortcuts to files that are on
        another computer won't work anymore (rather shortcuts to files on your
        computer won't work anymore.)... If you do this at work, people like me
        are going to be pretty pissed off, especially if we do this for a reason
        (like for backups... Especially true for a DOS based network <Windows 3.1
        /95/98/ME>). On your home computer, if you have a network, and want/need
        file sharing, then leave it on, but password it. If you don't need it, and
        have it enabled, then by all means, disable it.

        NetBIOS has NOTHING to do with popups, on DOS/Win3.1/95/98/ME/2000/XP, or
        any other OS out there. These statements are absolutely, completely false,
        I hope none of you followed this advice.

        Just an FYI, you can't disable NetBIOS from the services console, you
        need to do it in the advanced TCP/IP settings (Win2000) on the WINS tab for
        each network connection. What would be best, is if you leave it to the
        DHCP server setting (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). At home, and at
        work, mine are turned on (to the DHCP server setting). In other words,
        just leave it alone...

        If you want to be able to block SOME popups (mind you, this is for VERY
        FEW) then you can go to the services console and stop the MESSENGER
        service. If you do the following, you can see which type of popups you can
        block by this method. Some popups will look like this, but if you hold
        your mouse over them, and your cursor looks like a link, over the entire
        window, it's not this method for a popup. When you "NET SEND" SPAM, you
        give up your IP adress, which makes it REALLY easy to complain to their
        ISP, and get their account revoked for violating the terms of service.
        Needless to say, it is used very little. To do this exercise, just follow
        the directions below, make a note of the mouse pointer, when you hold it
        over the window that pops up.

        What we are going to do is go to a DOS window and find our computers
        hostname, then do a net send to it.

        Click the START button, click RUN, then type in CMD and hit OK <for DOS
        based OS's {95/98/ME} type in COMMAND> once you have an MS-DOS prompt
        window <usually a black screen with white letters> then type in NET NAME
        and hit the enter key.

        Mine looks like this:

        Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
        (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

        C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net name

        Name
        NAME
        ADMINISTRATOR
        The command completed successfully.

        C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

        You will see the computer name <NAME> and the user logged on
        <ADMINISTRATOR> if you see NAME then under it, NAME$ then the username,
        it's OK, just don't use the $ sign after the computer name. At the DOS
        prompt, type NET SEND <insert your computer name here> stupid darn SPAM!!!
        Once you have done this, you will see that the window is entitled messenger
        service, message begins with:

        Message from <your computer name> to <your computer name> on <date and time
        you sent it>

        stupid darn SPAM!!!

        Then you have to click OK to make the dialogue box go away. The tricky
        thing is when sites SPAM you with a message that LOOKS like this, but it's
        a link instead, so when you click OK, you are really clicking a link to an
        advertiser.. Hold your mouse pointer over this box, you will not see the
        cursor change, like it does when you hold it over a link, in a web page.
        This is the only popup that turning off the messenger service will stop.
        Pretty rare if you ask me, since their IP adress shows up in the 'from
        field.' Not very good when you are trying to hide from your prey...

        My apologies for not debunking these statements sooner, I hate to see
        false information spread. If you have done these things, and now your
        stuff doesn't work, let me know, and I will try and help you out. Bear in
        mind, I don't charge people to do this, I do it because I like to help
        people. If you don't speak geek, please have one who can grasp the
        concept, available, to help you compose your email, and help you fix the
        problem. If you have middle-school+ aged kids, they are probably the best
        ones to help (Seriously!!!) I have dealt with people from the bottom of
        the pay scale, to others who make over a million a year. Being a computer
        guy, you meet them all, because they ALL need your help. Some of the best
        people to work with are kids, they are intuitive, and they follow
        directions : )
        I do this for free, so help me help you : )

        Jamison Hooper

        If someone sends you something, and you need to know if it's true, just
        forward it to me- I have been on the net, before the WWW was even born
        (and long before Al Gore invented it...) Been there, seen that...

        PS> I may not be able to help much with legal problems, I am, but a
        student, but when it comes to computers, that's my ball field : )
        PPS> H8sBARattorneys said it right when he said we don't need the gov't to
        solve our problems, we can control it, and we do. Maybe not to everyone's
        satisfaction, but it sure beats what the gov't can do-