Suing former employer - PLEASE HELP!

  • Grey Weulf
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2003
      I was fired by my former employer, America's largest
      credit card lender, in March 2003 without cause and
      its OK. But here is were my problem. I saw this
      coming and had purchased credit protection insurance
      for all my credit cards. However, when I filed
      unemployment claim, as required by Credit Protection
      Insurance Carriers, my employer charged I was
      terminated for cause and an appeals referee agreed.
      My claims for Credit Protection activation was denied
      by all carriers causing all my credit cards to go in
      default. I keep up with all my mortgage payments, but
      I feel violated with these Credit Card Companies.

      Subsequently, I appealed the referee's decions and a 9
      member panel of the state department of labor decreed
      that I was fired without cause. They also awarded me
      unemployment benefits. The time for my former employer
      to file an appeal at the state superior court has
      expired. However, since my Credit Cards are already
      in default, the Credit Protection carriers will not
      pay out as, accounts must be for such claims to be
      paid out. So I lost out at the end anyway, it seems.

      I maintain my former employer, also a Credit Card
      vendor/bank, willfully contested my termination as
      with cause eventually leading to destruction of my
      credit among other things.

      Is there a way for me to seek compensation from my
      former employer for providing misleading information
      which resulted in not being able to claim Credit
      Protection Insurance benefits? What is the statute of
      limitations? What type of documentation would I need?

      Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated.

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • balderdash88@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2003
        You say "not being able to claim" do you mean not being able to acquire
        "benifits" ?

        You did in FACT make a claim ( which was denied)....didn't you? Bille
      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
          There is always relief in the law... First thing is first. You need
          to exhaust your appeals to the credit card protection insurance
          companies. You wrote a good explination of what happened. What you
          need to do first is to send an appeal to all of the credit card
          protection companies. Tell them exactly what happened and send a
          copy of the decision of the 9 member appeals panel and be sure and
          mention that the time for the appeals by your former employer has
          passed. Explain in detail that the coverage you purchased protected
          against not being able to pay because of not being employed. Your
          origional claim was made in a timely fashion and the appeal was
          ruled in your favor. You cannot be penalized because you had to
          excersice your due process of law to resolve the termination
          dispute. If your still not employed just refile the claim with the
          origional date on it with the information I mentioned above. Be
          sure and tell them that you will take further legal action unless
          they live up to there contract. Remember this very important
          thing. Insurance is a contract plain and simple - the terms of the
          insurance policy is nothing more than the terms of a contract. All
          the judges decisions will be based on the contract. Contact them
          NOW. If this particular situtation is not specifically mentioned in
          the contract you will previal. Remember your initial claim was a
          timely one. Your account payments were current and they owe the
          payments under the terms of the contract. Also you are entitled to
          have your credit record corrected when you enter a disputed amount.
          Be sure and enter the amount that the companies failed to pay for
          you. You are allowed to put a letter in your record. Get one in.
          Maybe this will help. If the insurance companies fail to payup -
          see what the small claims court limit is in your state. Maybe you
          can file there and have a simpler case.
          John

          --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, Grey Weulf <greyweulf@y...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2004
            Correct. I filed a claim and it was denied because
            the employer charged, I was terminated for cause.
            Does that make a difference?