Re: "non-taxpayer" status- getting hired!

  • Occupant Family
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2003
      Greetings all,

      See EEOC v Information Systems Consulting item attached.
      This was used to get hired by Taco Bell. Note that Taco Bell's
      current employment application form states that the SS# is (optional).

      Deo volente,
      Jim
      On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:12:18 -0700 Suzanne Shell <dsshell@...>
      writes:

      > Alan Bacon (sui Juris) wrote:
      >
      > > I have used the "non-taxpayer" argument trying to get jobs -
      > nada!

    • Mr Klon Shugart
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2003
        It might be of interest that the young Mr. Thomas, the focus of this post, did not seek
        employment from Taco Bell after the case was settled.

        Excerpt from conversation with Mr. Aurther Thomas, father;

        The "Taco Bell" Case

        Date: October 26, 1997

        Subject: Taco Bell Employment Application

        Social Security number optional?

        To all interested parties:

        This evening I spoke with Mr. Arthur Thomas, whose son's encounter

        with Taco Bell in 1993 resulted in an out of court settlement in

        favor of the young Thomas as well as a Taco Bell employment

        application with a box stating "Social Security Number(optional)".

        As I have heard all manner of reports and speculations regarding the

        Taco Bell situation, I will first briefly clear up the basic facts of

        this matter, as reported to me by Arthur Thomas.

        Mr. Thomas' son applied for a job with Taco Bell in 1993 and was told

        he could not be hired without supplying a Social Security number.

        Arthur Thomas put together some paperwork which informed Taco Bell

        of the pertinent law on the subject and provided the company with a

        copy of the EEOC case against Information Systems Consulting of

        Texas.

        [In 1992, the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) filed an

        action in U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, Dallas

        Division (CA3-92-0169-T) against Information Systems Consulting

        (I.S.C.) for firing Bruce Hanson (an employee) on 8-15-89 solely

        because he would not provide the company with a SSN that he did not

        have due to his religious beliefs.]

        It is important to note that a court case was never filed by

        the Thomases. Taco Bell entered into a settlement agreement with the

        the young Mr. Thomas prior to the filing of any legal action and

        "settled amicably for money [the amount young Thomas would have

        earned working for Taco Bell during that summer] and an offer of

        employment on condition he would agree not to sue."

        It is true that Taco Bell, subsequent to this matter, did change its

        employment application to show the Social Security number as

        "optional"; however, according to Mr. Thomas, the "offer of

        employment" made by Taco Bell in its agreement with his son did not

        indicate that they would hire him without a Social Security number.

        After the settlement, young Thomas did not pursue employment with

        Taco Bell or further challenge the Social Security number issue,

        choosing instead to go on a mission for his church.

        Further, according to Arthur Thomas, Taco Bell's stated policy

        through its current parent company, Pepsico (a multi-national

        corporation), is to not hire anyone without a Social Security number,

        as a "political issue consideration" -- this in spite of their job

        application which says "Social Security Number (optional)".

        Apparently this policy has been voiced by employment office

        personnel, but Arthur Thomas has not actually seen the policy in

        writing; to his knowledge, no one since his son's case has

        challenged Taco Bell (Pepsico) on this policy.

        --- Occupant Family <lookin2c@...> wrote: Greetings all,

        Alan Bacon (sui Juris) wrote:

        I have used the "non-taxpayer" argument trying to get jobs - nada!

        ATTACHMENT part 2 application/msword name=EEOC v Information Systems
        Consulting.doc