Freedom v. Safety: History of Erosion

  • Brutus
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 26, 2003
      Has anyone out there chronicled the history of our eroding freedoms & liberty ?

      A question for the think-tank:
      (per posting yesterday) Apparently, the IRS did not exist until 1950 and was created using the Korean war in some fashion as the rationale.

      The income tax did not become a permenant part of American life until it was instituted to fund WW I in 1913 or 1914, then was never repealed when the war ended.

      Has anyone out there chronicled the history of our eroding freedoms which has been ostensible done in the name of safety ? (Brady Bill, Patriot Act, etc.)

      It seems like some of the biggest 'power grabs', have been done by using the same fear tactics - again and again.

      "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

    • Robert Riggins
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 27, 2003
        The income tax has evolved from the "Victory Tax" of 1943. But, that was
        repealed May 30, 1944, they (the gov.) just forgot to tell the people. At
        the time of WWII people GAVE 5% of their earning to the war effort. In
        exchange they got a gold star to put in their window to show they were good
        citizens.

        Has anyone out there chronicled the history of our eroding freedoms &
        liberty ?
      • CCDude
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 27, 2003
          Does anyone have any information on the income tax being found
          unconstitutional: - Civil War times?

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 27, 2003
            Brutus,

            The IRS was originally the (BIR) Bureau of Internal Revenue out of the Philippines, well documented.  In 1953 a Senator with a stroke of his pen changed the Name to (IRS) Internal Revenue Service. I sent the document on this to Dan Meador over six months ago since we were email back and forth information on E.O.'s, OMB, etc, however, Dan Passed on and I lost the document or I would attach it here.  I will have to spend three hard days tracking it back down out of the archives, when I have the time.  You could go find it yourself it is in the Senate Archives.
            Scott Williams
            Denver, Colorado
          • Occupant Family
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 28, 2003
              Greetings,

              Several people have done just that... see attached for a minimal start!
              This was written BEFORE 9/11.

              Deo volente,
              Jim

              On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 06:36:33 -0800 (PST) Brutus <brutus_1776@...> writes:
              Has anyone out there chronicled the history of our eroding freedoms & liberty ?

            • Mr Klon Shugart
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
                Yeah, Yeah

                Must be a newbie. The 'Victory Tax' argument has been
                discussed for the last twenty or so years, I even
                heard that it was finally repealed in 1994, I have the
                article somewhere on backups.

                As to your original question, yes, appearing in
                article over 100,000 times.

                http://photos.yahoo.com/
              • nickster97@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 30, 2003
                  There is some truth to this, what is the tax that is applied to the
                  witthholding under 3402?

                  --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, Mr Klon Shugart