Re: [tips_and_tricks] Stoping pop ups. please help

  • c==[:::ComeAndTakeIt:::>
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
      I understand your frustration with pop-up, its things like that that prompted me to persue a degree in network security but the last thing we need is more government to deal with problems that we ourselves can controll. The solution is very simple (then again anything is easy once you know how). if you are using windows 98, disable file share in network neighborhood and if windows 2000, got to administrative tools >> Services and Applications >> Services - and disable NetBIOS. Hope this helps

      In Liberty

      H8sBARattorneys
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2003
        If anyone finds a VERIZON POP UP and can email it to me I'll give $20 for it

        Verizon has been stalking me and  I had one of their  pop ups come up on my screen and blasted it before I thought of what I was doing. Please watch for their pop up's and save for me
        I'm going to make them the focal for my action against pop ups.
        If we can find land addresses for the pop ups we can go after them as Stalkers in court. I want to make one that I can't lose the test case, then we can go after them in class actions. we'll stop the pop ups and make some money from them at the same time.
        Paul
      • jhooper@buehlermotor.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2003
          Computer guys opinion of the proposed Stalking lawsuit:

          Paul,

          Being a network administrator, I have a pretty good knowledge of
          computers. I think that you are looking to the wrong place for stalking
          charges. Not knowing many details of the situation, I think you might
          want to look towards gator.com as a model. I would suspect that Verizon
          doesn't follow you around the web, 'stalking' you, but another more
          insidious program such as Gator. Gator, is a targeted advertiser,
          spitting out targeted popups, depending on where you go. If you go to
          another cell phone company, Gator will know, and give you a popup from one
          of their advertisers in the same industry.
          They (rather YOU) install their 'spyware' on your PC, and by clicking
          YES on the popup security (do you trust them?) window, you are essentially
          giving them permission, and accept the agreement. You might not know it,
          and most don't even read it, they just assume that they can't see the page
          they are trying to get to, without saying yes. I have seen it many times,
          in fact I just removed that nasty program from a users PC this morning.
          The most notable was when it ran from inside the recycle bin, after
          uninstall and deletion of the directories.

          Look for:
          Gator eWallet
          Date Manager
          PrecisionTime
          Weatherscope
          certain versions of the DivX codec
          There are others, but these seem to be the worst offenders.

          If you feel like poking around in your Program Files directory (it's OK
          to look,) Check out c:\program files\common files\ and look for CMEII or
          gator. If you find either of these, you are being tracked, and hit with
          unnecessary popups, and they are 'spying' on you. I won't go into much
          detail on how to remove these programs, but if you need help, just send me
          an email, I am always glad to help.

          For MOST browsing, I use a program called Avant Browser
          (http://www.avantbrowser.com) I have seen one popup in the entire time I
          have used it (months). Links that open in a new window work most every
          time, but at times, you need to copy the link, and use Internet Explorer
          (IE). It'a about 7-8 megs, and sits on top of IE, using it as the core.
          Think of it as a tweaked IE. I have no affiliation with them, I am just a
          little picky about what I put on my computer. It's free, but might ask
          you to donate $15 here or there...

          Back to stalking... You could look to cookies as they are pretty bad,
          in and of themselves. The industry says they are fine, just a small bit
          of data stored on your hard drive. Well, they couldn't be more wrong.
          Check out doubleclick.net. I would bet, if you hold your pointer over all
          the ads you see on the next ten pages you visit (different sites of
          course), you will see them fairly regularly. IE's default security level
          allows OTHER sites to place cokies on your computer. What this means is
          that by where you surf, they know about it because they sent you a cookie
          in their ad; This is another form of targeted advertising. Basically what
          they can see is ou visited this site, and this one, and this one, and this
          one, and so on.

          From Wired.com:

          DoubleClick came under fire last year when a planned acquisition would
          have made it possible for the company to identify Web users by name. (http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,38578,00.html?tw==wn20000902)

          The Washington-based Electronic Privacy Information Center, a privacy
          advocacy group, has accused DoubleClick of seeking to build virtual
          dossiers on consumers' buying habits and identities after assuring Web
          users that information collected about them would remain confidential.

          (http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/doubleclick010123.html#1)

          I know this relates little to law, BUT researching law is also
          researching to subjects of litigation, therefore I think it is relevant to
          this forum.

          Hope this helps,

          Jamison

          PS> Turn off third party cookies, keep your virus scanner up to date,
          keep windows up to date, and last but not least, never click yes unless
          you really mean it!

          PPS> After reading your email again, here are the verizon popups you were
          looking for-

          From google.com searching for: verizon popup
          Verizon Online DSL
          This is a popup window for Verizon Online DSL.
          To close this window please press ALT+F4.
          www22.verizon.com/pages/dogwindow/ - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

          Introducing Verizon Freedom
          This is a popup window for Verizon Freedom.
          To close this window please press ALT+F4.
          www22.verizon.com/dsl_popup.html - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

          I can see why you are mad at them, they wanted to put 14 cookies on my
          computer to see this page:
          http://kevxml2a.verizon.net/_1_E17T8S03O28P8M__vzn.isp/apnws/index_nws.htm

          Oh, and you can keep the twenty bucks : )

          ,--. ,--.
          ( O ) ( O )
          `--' \ `--'
          \ _
          >-. / /|
          `-.__.'

          Bear's note: To clean your computer up real good along these lines go to www.xblock.com and purchase and download xcleaner; WOW! What a program! It gets rid of all of the adware/spyware, cleans out your cookies, cleans out your internet history and temporary files and much more. My computer wiz buddy put it on my computer and I've been using it ever since. Take the $20 you just saved and put about $10 more with it and solve all of the problems he mentions above in an automated manner. It would spot Gator right away and delete it off for you slicker then slick; plus, it would check for a bunch more not mentioned and deal with them as well.
        • Tim Costello
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 18, 2003
            Paul,

            Nicely put.

            Might I also recommend AdAware.  Please surf to www.lavasoftusa.com.  Download and install AdAware.  Free download.  It will strip all spyware off your PC.

            Cheers,

            Tim

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 18, 2003
              Thanks I appreciate the help But I'm still looking for the verizon pop up
            • jhooper@buehlermotor.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2004
                BEAR> This thread is a little off topic now, but I feel as though the
                previous statement on this thread needs to be debunked. My purpose is to
                set the record straight, and not flame anyone. Hope that happens
                correctly-

                Ummm... H8sBARattorneys,

                What you propose will do absolutely NOTHING to prevent popups. Sharing a
                folder on your home (or otherwise) network has absolutely nothing to do
                with popup ads from web pages. I will admit, I am not going to do any
                research on "POP-UP" as I believe you are referring to popup ads, which
                occur here and there, as revenue generation, for web sites..

                If you share directories (folders) between computers on your home (or
                work) network, and turn this off, then your shortcuts to files that are on
                another computer won't work anymore (rather shortcuts to files on your
                computer won't work anymore.)... If you do this at work, people like me
                are going to be pretty pissed off, especially if we do this for a reason
                (like for backups... Especially true for a DOS based network <Windows 3.1
                /95/98/ME>). On your home computer, if you have a network, and want/need
                file sharing, then leave it on, but password it. If you don't need it, and
                have it enabled, then by all means, disable it.

                NetBIOS has NOTHING to do with popups, on DOS/Win3.1/95/98/ME/2000/XP, or
                any other OS out there. These statements are absolutely, completely false,
                I hope none of you followed this advice.

                Just an FYI, you can't disable NetBIOS from the services console, you
                need to do it in the advanced TCP/IP settings (Win2000) on the WINS tab for
                each network connection. What would be best, is if you leave it to the
                DHCP server setting (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). At home, and at
                work, mine are turned on (to the DHCP server setting). In other words,
                just leave it alone...

                If you want to be able to block SOME popups (mind you, this is for VERY
                FEW) then you can go to the services console and stop the MESSENGER
                service. If you do the following, you can see which type of popups you can
                block by this method. Some popups will look like this, but if you hold
                your mouse over them, and your cursor looks like a link, over the entire
                window, it's not this method for a popup. When you "NET SEND" SPAM, you
                give up your IP adress, which makes it REALLY easy to complain to their
                ISP, and get their account revoked for violating the terms of service.
                Needless to say, it is used very little. To do this exercise, just follow
                the directions below, make a note of the mouse pointer, when you hold it
                over the window that pops up.

                What we are going to do is go to a DOS window and find our computers
                hostname, then do a net send to it.

                Click the START button, click RUN, then type in CMD and hit OK <for DOS
                based OS's {95/98/ME} type in COMMAND> once you have an MS-DOS prompt
                window <usually a black screen with white letters> then type in NET NAME
                and hit the enter key.

                Mine looks like this:

                Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
                (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

                C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net name

                Name
                NAME
                ADMINISTRATOR
                The command completed successfully.

                C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

                You will see the computer name <NAME> and the user logged on
                <ADMINISTRATOR> if you see NAME then under it, NAME$ then the username,
                it's OK, just don't use the $ sign after the computer name. At the DOS
                prompt, type NET SEND <insert your computer name here> stupid darn SPAM!!!
                Once you have done this, you will see that the window is entitled messenger
                service, message begins with:

                Message from <your computer name> to <your computer name> on <date and time
                you sent it>

                stupid darn SPAM!!!

                Then you have to click OK to make the dialogue box go away. The tricky
                thing is when sites SPAM you with a message that LOOKS like this, but it's
                a link instead, so when you click OK, you are really clicking a link to an
                advertiser.. Hold your mouse pointer over this box, you will not see the
                cursor change, like it does when you hold it over a link, in a web page.
                This is the only popup that turning off the messenger service will stop.
                Pretty rare if you ask me, since their IP adress shows up in the 'from
                field.' Not very good when you are trying to hide from your prey...

                My apologies for not debunking these statements sooner, I hate to see
                false information spread. If you have done these things, and now your
                stuff doesn't work, let me know, and I will try and help you out. Bear in
                mind, I don't charge people to do this, I do it because I like to help
                people. If you don't speak geek, please have one who can grasp the
                concept, available, to help you compose your email, and help you fix the
                problem. If you have middle-school+ aged kids, they are probably the best
                ones to help (Seriously!!!) I have dealt with people from the bottom of
                the pay scale, to others who make over a million a year. Being a computer
                guy, you meet them all, because they ALL need your help. Some of the best
                people to work with are kids, they are intuitive, and they follow
                directions : )
                I do this for free, so help me help you : )

                Jamison Hooper

                If someone sends you something, and you need to know if it's true, just
                forward it to me- I have been on the net, before the WWW was even born
                (and long before Al Gore invented it...) Been there, seen that...

                PS> I may not be able to help much with legal problems, I am, but a
                student, but when it comes to computers, that's my ball field : )
                PPS> H8sBARattorneys said it right when he said we don't need the gov't to
                solve our problems, we can control it, and we do. Maybe not to everyone's
                satisfaction, but it sure beats what the gov't can do-