Re: [tips_and_tricks] Digest Number 456

  • Dr. Reena Sommer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2003
      I don't know what to say except I am sorry that there wasn't somebody like
      me around for you to consult with. I agree that your attorney did a shoddy
      job in not finding you a GAL. That's garbage and pure laziness on his part.
      FYI, I have a free minicourse on custody issues -
      http://www.reenasommerassociates.mb.ca/minicourse.html. It may be of
      interest to you and others.

      Judges typically do not like unilateral assessments. I was just asked to do
      one today and turned it down knowing that 1) it would likely go no where and
      2) in accepting it, it leaves me liable to being sued by the other side.

      I am left to wonder however about a "magistrate's" power to make such
      rulings. In my part of the world, magistrates are given that power. Is it
      possible that you can appeal to a higher level?

      Wishing you well. Reena Sommer, Ph.D.