RE: [tips_and_tricks] How do I sign IRS forms?

  • Dessie Andrews
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 4, 2003

      When you are applying for a government benefit, you supplicate yourself to their authority.  Do whatever they tell you in order to obtain your benefit, but don’t stand on your rights after that.

      I’m not being judgmental about your situation.  We often do things out of necessity.  However, the hooks and tentacles are strong and long, just be aware that is what you are doing.

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2003
        The W-9 is not sent to the IRS, it is used to fill out the 1099 that will be sent to the IRS.  If you do not fill out the form and give your SSN, most likely they will take you off the Section 8 program.

        Gary
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2003
          Any time someone is forcing you to sign your name and you do not
          freely give your signature then a statement to that effect is
          necessary to give notice that the form is null and void as a matter
          of law. It makes no difference if the form is IRS - SSA - or any
          other form state or federal. All you have to do is to attach a
          simple statement to the form that says you did not freely give your
          signature on the form and you do not support the jurat statement in
          any fashion. Also mention that the form is null and void as a matter
          of law. That should about do it. The form cannot be used as a basis
          for anything. One thing about signatures - THEY MUST BE GIVEN OF
          YOUR OWN FREE WILL. If a signature is not given freely then it is
          coereced under threat or duress. The law of necessity allows us to
          eat or earn a living in whatever legal manner we can. If its legal
          then we cannot be forced to do anything to get the job. If for some
          reason you feel a notice attached to the form will cause you to loose
          a job or prejudice you in some way then send the notice in after the
          form is filed. Be sure and cite the form, date etc and send the
          notice to the offending agency. Keep your records to prove they got
          the notice that the signature was forced.
          John
        • bowman7a
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2003
            Let's first start with the form on its face, and the instructions
            that accompany it.
            The IRS claims that this Form is required to be provided to all
            payors of amounts which exceed $600 for the year for payee TIN
            certification, or that the payor is to "backup withhold" 31% of the
            remuneration paid.

            The Form states on its face in the upper right hand corner, "Do not
            send to the IRS"
            Since there is no law which absolutely requires that a U.S. Citizen
            register with the Social Security Administration, and thus be
            assigned a number, there can be, and is, no law requiring the
            providing of a number to a payor.
            This is proved by:

            26 CFR § 301.6109-1(d)

            26 U.S.C. § 6041(a)

            26 CFR § 1.6041-6

            26U.S.C. § 6041A(f)(1)

            26 CFR 1.6041A-1(a) (for a pdf copy click here)

            This legal position is also proved by the fact that there is no
            Office of Management and Budget (OMB) control number on the form.
            In 1980, the Paperwork Reduction Act required that all Executive
            Agencies, including the IRS, were required to submit all Forms
            required to be completed by U.S. Citizens to the OMB for approval,
            along with the citation of the law which the forms were fulfilling.

            This was so that Citizens would know if the form they were being
            presented with was a legal form that they were required by some law
            to submit, or if it was a form stemming from merely an offhand or
            casual request for which there is no binding legal authority.

            There is no OMB Control number on the W-9, therefore there we know
            that there must be no law requiring the submittal of a number to a
            payor, at least in regard to U.S. Citizens. Therefore, the IRS
            neither has authority to use it as any form of evidence, nor can they
            require that it be sent to them. It appears that the comment in the
            upper right hand corner is an admission of this so that if it was
            sent to them, they have plausible deniability that it was not sent to
            them in accordance with any kind of legal request or demand, under
            any assumed authority.

            As for the claim by the IRS that, if the Form is not provided, the
            payor is to impose backup withholding of 31%, we must examine the
            form. On the form you will see that the person executing this form is
            stating that the number provided by them as theirs is correct,
            under "penalty of perjury". This is what the form requires, yet the
            statute regarding backup withholding for payee certification failure
            (that is, failure to certify that your TIN/EIN/SSN is correct), 26
            U.S.C. § 3406(e)(1), plainly states that the number can only be
            required, by the Secretary, to be provided under penalty of perjury
            in regards to "interest, dividends, patronage dividends, and amount
            subject to broker reporting."

            Obviously this provision of law is restricted in its application. The
            remainder of subsection (e) only covers back-up withholding from the
            use of an incorrect number or a notified underreporting. So, if you
            did not provide an incorrect number, and are not required to provide
            a number "under penalties of perjury" pursuant to this section, or
            the payor has not been notified of an underreporting, can the backup
            withholding in this section of law legally apply?

            In order to answer that question we must have the following
            components, that we will simultaneously reveal are missing:
            First there must be a "manner required" by which a number must be
            submitted (which there is not in regards to U.S. Citizens as they are
            not by law subject to the Social Security Act and cannot be compelled
            to possess or apply for an SSN/TIN).

            Second, there has to be a "failure" to provide a number, which there
            cannot be as there is no law requiring a U.S. Citizen to be subject
            to the Social Security Act, to then be required to have a number, to
            fail to provide. The IRS has failed to provide the OMB with a law
            requiring U.S. Citizens to provide numbers on the W-9. We doubt that
            they will any time soon.

            Third, there has to be a "reportable payment" pursuant to 26 U.S.C. §
            3406(b)(1).

            Fourth, in order to have a reportable payment, there must be a
            payment that is "required" to be submitted to the IRS on a return, as
            set forth in 26 U.S.C. § 3406(b)(2) & (3).

            So what happens if a return is not required to be made?
            The two main sections of law requiring the filing of a return as
            cited by 26 U.S.C. § 3406(b)(2) & (3) that apply to most people
            are §§ 6041 and 6041A . The first and easiest section of law to deal
            with is § 6041.

            If you have read the law, you will see a complete absence of any
            requirement by § 6041 for the payee to provide a TIN/SSN/EIN. This
            eliminates § 6041 from being a law that requires the payee to provide
            a TIN/SSN/EIN, therefore, § 3406(a)(1)(A) backup withholding has a
            difficult time applying to this particular reportable payment. (NOTE:
            A regulation can not legally expand the meaning of the words in the
            statute, thus any requirement in the regulation for a number is
            beyond the statutory authority.)

            The regulations for this section (26 CFR § 1.6041-6 ) concurs with
            the requirement of the name and address of the recipient of the
            remuneration to be on the form. Still there is no requirement that an
            identifying number be placed on the form pursuant to this regulation.
            Instead, the regulation defers the requirement to 26 U.S.C. § 6109,
            which alludes to a prior legal requirement (26 CFR § 301.6109-1(b)).
            This section of the regulations will be reviewed in detail later in
            this article, but at this time we will make some comments regarding
            26 U.S.C. § 6109. The most important thing to point out about this
            statute is that the law presumes or assumes that the person whom the
            return is to be made on has a TIN to begin with. Since subsection (d)
            states that the SSN of an individual is to be their TIN, where is the
            legal requirement of U.S. Citizens to have such a number in the first
            place, so as to then provide it? (See our SSA article)

            Also, the law is constructed upon, and is therefore dependent upon, a
            prior or pre-existing requirement that a person provide an
            identifying number to a person making a return regarding them. This
            law assumes at subsections (a), (a)(2), and (h)(3) that there is a
            legal requirement, so that one must provide the assumed/presumed
            number, as set forth in a specific regulation as required in a
            statute.

            Where is the regulation requiring the number on the return?
            Is it us, or are you also seeing this search for the regulatory
            requirement to disclose a TIN to be circular between 26 CFR §§ 1.6041-
            6, 26 U.S.C. § 6109, and 26 CFR § 301.6109-1?

            It is remarkable to note, in subsection (c), that the Secretary is
            only given authority to require information to be given in the
            assignment process, which is obviously set forth in the Social
            Security Act, as the SSN for individuals is to be the TIN. Still, the
            Secretary has not been given authority to assign numbers to any
            person under this law, just require specific information of those in
            the application process. (See the SSA article) Therefore, there is
            still no law enacted by the authority of the Congress that requires
            the assignment of a social security number card to U.S. Citizens.

            As our argument stands, "Please show us the statute which forces, by
            the Rule of law and power of our Government, application,
            registration, and assignment without the voluntary act of
            application?"

            The next law is § 6041A, and if you examine subsection (a)(2) there
            is no requirement that the payor provide a number to the IRS
            regarding such returns. Since this is not all that is located in this
            subsection, I must point out that the return is to be made according
            to the "forms or regulations" set forth by the Secretary. (NOTE: The
            regulations are law, not the forms. This is a well-determined fact.
            Also, how do we know which Form is required to be issued according to
            this statute when there are no regulations?) Subsection (f)(1)
            appears to be an after thought, as the entirety of § 6041A
            (otherwise it would be §6042) states that the payee must provide his
            identification number upon request of the payor, and that the number
            is required to be included on the return pursuant to subparagraph (2).

            By what authority does the law assume that the payee has an
            identifying number?
            Nevertheless, the statute says that the number will only be required
            to be provided (assuming there is an identifying number) pursuant to
            the requirements of the regulation the Secretary promulgates. So, we
            must now go to 26 CFR and find a regulation for 6041A, but we cannot
            as there are neither any Temporary nor any Permanent regulations for
            this law. Thus, there is no requirement under the internal revenue
            laws for a person to provide an identifying number to a payor
            pursuant to 26 CFR § 6041A, therefore, backup withholding pursuant to
            § 3406(a)(1)(A) cannot apply as there is no manner required by law to
            provide a number.

            On the other hand, there is a "Proposed regulation" for § 6041A at 26
            CFR § 1.6041A-1 (for a pdf copy click here). It has been proposed
            since 1986 and it reveals that no return is required to be filed
            pursuant to § 6041A , if the remuneration paid is "excludable" from
            gross income pursuant to a section of the internal revenue laws, if
            the payee informs the payor of this fact and the payor does not know
            the facts to be otherwise. Therefore, if the payee provides a
            statement under penalty of perjury, to the payor, that the money paid
            to the payee is remuneration excluded from gross income, there is no
            requirement by law for a return to be made. Therefore, backup
            withholding would not apply, as the payment is not a payment that
            requires a return pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 3406(b)(3).

            It is apparent that back-up withholding can only be assessed against
            a person who is required to provide a social security number "under
            penalties of perjury"(a non-resident alien), has lied when he claimed
            to have provided a correct number "under penalties of perjury",
            and/or is a non-resident alien who is required to possess a social
            security number, who is thereby subject to taxation under Subtitle C
            of the IRC, "Employment Taxes" and the income tax, and has not
            provided a social security number as required by 26 U.S.C. § 3406(a)
            (1). This must be the case, as it is well established in our SSA
            article that the Social Security Act and Subtitle C are not
            necessarily applicable to U.S. Citizens, and § 3406 being in Subtitle
            C, Employment Taxes, is wholly dependent upon the person in question
            being subject to the Social Security Act.

            We must note at this time that 26 U.S.C. § 3406(h) states that the
            money that is backup withheld is to be treated as taxes withheld
            under § 3402. This would indicate that no amount of money may be
            withheld under backup withholding without a hand delivered letter
            from the Local District Director, pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 7512 and
            its regulations, and not the whimsy of any low level IRS Official,
            mere publication, or unsigned computer form letter.

            In an attempt to close this article, it would not be fair to leave
            out the only point that most tax professionals love to make when
            sending out a payor's demand for identifying numbers. I must point
            out that even if a return was required, which is not always the case,
            the only penalty is in Proposed Regulation 26 CFR § 1.6041A-1(h).

            I suppose it is a good thing that there are no actual regulations
            regarding the provision of the number for § 6041A. Then again the
            section of law cited in the proposed regulation at subsection (h) is
            IRC (U.S.C.) § 6676 which has been repealed. Even IRC § 6724, which
            was indicated by the EEOC as the section of law now carrying the
            penalty for the payor not providing the number they have, lacks any
            regulatory requirement that a payee provide a TIN to a payor, as the
            penalty claimed in its regulation 26 CFR § 301.6724-1(e)(2) is cited
            as 26 U.S.C. § 6723.

            This law imposes a $50 penalty for not providing a number when
            requested to do so. The specifics of such a circumstance are set
            forth in 26 CFR § 301.6723-1(a)(4)(c). This penalty is wholly
            dependent upon the requirement of the regulations of 26 U.S.C. § 6109
            (26 CFR § 301.6109-1) where there is no requirement that anyone be
            forced or required by a payor to provide a social security number to
            the requestor, only that the payor make the request for the number as
            so required (subsection (c)).

            It is a fact of law that there is a requirement in subsection (b)
            that U.S. persons (not identified as Citizens) furnish their number
            if "required" on a return, upon request. This assumes that the U.S.
            person has a number, which we have shown in our SSA article to not be
            required of U.S. Citizens.

            Although subsection (b) mentions a penalty, the requirement to
            provide the number is phrased to be dependent upon a pre-existing or
            outside requirement for disclosure relating to the return. The only
            foundation for such a requirement can only be in the specific
            statutes regarding the specific returns, as all authority proceeds
            from that point for the Secretary to implement.

            So, who is this U.S. person? Is it possible that a U.S. person is not
            a Citizen?
            It is apparent that the U.S. Citizen has the right to not participate
            in the benefits of the social security program as set forth in
            subsection (d), but they must obtain a number if they are "required"
            to furnish a number pursuant to subsection (b). Still, subsection (b)
            does not take the responsibility for creating the requirement
            referenced in (d).

            When examining the alleged requirement chasing itself between
            subsections (b)) and (d) of 301.6109-1, which came first, the
            requirement to apply for a number to provide it for return purposes,
            or the requirement to provide a number and thus the need to apply for
            it?

            Is it any wonder that the author researcher told you that his head
            was spinning when we began this article? Did you think that he was
            kidding?

            Is it us, or are you also seeing this search for the regulatory
            requirement to obtain a taxpayer identification number to be
            circular, and simultaneously dependent upon a disclosure requirement
            that does not exist?

            If there was a law requiring that one have a number, why must there
            be a law allegedly requiring that the person so required make a
            voluntary application for that which would then be forcibly issued?
            Can the $50 penalty or the backup withholding (pursuant to 26 U.S.C.
            § 3406(a)) be legally and lawfully applied to the U.S. Citizen (who
            does not have to have a number) if the person making a return decides
            that the Citizen is required to have the return issued on him,
            despite the fact that § 6041(a) & (c) does not require that he
            provide a number and therefore there is no requirement that a number
            be placed on the return as set forth in the words of the statute?

            Can the $50 penalty or the backup withholding (pursuant to 26 U.S.C.
            § 3406(a)) be legally and lawfully applied to the U.S. Citizen (who
            does not have to have a number) if the person making the return
            decides that the Citizen is required to have the return issued on
            him, despite the fact that § 6041A has no regulation requiring that
            the Citizen provide a number to be placed on the return, or ignores
            the statement by the Citizen that there is no return required as the
            remuneration is excluded from "Gross income"?

            This should be a very simple question to answer "NO" to, when the
            facts show that the Statutes 6041 and 6041A have either failed to
            give the Secretary authority to require that a number be provided to
            the payor, or the Secretary has not promulgated a regulation
            requiring the providing of a TIN.

            Look at the bottom sections of 26 CFR § 301.6109-1(c). The original
            intent by the framers of this nation was that the bills and debts
            would be shouldered upon the foreigners sending money, coming to
            work, or establishing businesses in this land. With this still being
            the actual scheme of the wording of the present tax laws, why is it
            that it has not been until December 31, 1996 that the Secretary of
            the Treasury now shows some interest in numbering the non-resident
            aliens in this country and tracking the money they are earning in our
            free domestic market, a market purchased and preserved with the blood
            of those in America's military history?

            Please make use of the Political Action letters we have composed for
            your use, so that our Government Officials will be asked the real
            hard questions, and be informed that the People of America know the
            truth behind the lies now, and we will not go away…We are AMERICA,
            and we want corrective action taken regarding this circus of
            obfuscation.

            This present method of operation, by our government, veiled in
            obscurity and perpetuated by an organizational lack of accountability
            has placed the duty of correcting these problems in our hands.
            Rightfully so, as the choice we make with our hands moves the
            vehicles known as our Government Officials.

            Now is the time to fine tune the law to eliminate these much abused
            loopholes and double speak exposed in this article, and set free the
            U.S. Citizens who believe in freedom, independence, and enterprise,
            so that they may be left alone and free to prosper.
          • scott
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2003
              John, and to all,
              It doesn't matter one way or the other what you do or do not do, these
              people simply do not follow the law. First off the Damn IRS is not part of
              the United States Government and are a Corporation contracted with Financial
              Management Systems which is the true Delegate of the Secretary of Treasure
              to Collect all Debts for the United States including delinquent taxes. The
              IRS has limited contractual responsibilities to FMS which currently another
              patriot is trying to find out just what those responsibilities are for fact,
              and with any hope at all will know by the end of this month. I have always
              signed my tax returns with "Signed under duress and protest" since I was a
              kid, it didn't make any difference.
              I agree with you all that people are being abused in the courts and sent to
              jail for laws that do not exist. The only way I can see to solve this
              problem is to RICO the JUDGES, MAGISTRATES, ATTORNEYS, AND BAR ASSOCIATIONS.
              We must teach the people how to file and be successful at filing these RICO
              suits. This will tie up the courts and start removing and punishing the
              forces that are not following the Common Law and Constitutional Laws of this
              country.
              Admittedly I am not quite there myself and have been taking the time to
              learn and have spent huge sums of monies on legal books, tapes, and time
              researching. I fly around the country attending seminars to learn and hear
              what others opinions are. Some are worth the trip and expense and some are
              not. The bottom line is-IT IS ONLY YOU AND YOUR KNOWLEDGE that will be
              defending your butt in any court. All the little things won't matter if you
              are not aware and can not use the FRof Civil Procedures, FRof Criminal
              Procedures, Your local Court Rules of Civil and Criminal Procedures, and
              your local court rules. It's like prying the mouth of the Lyon open to
              de-tooth it, alot of us are getting bit time and time again, some with
              severity and some not, but none the less we are getting bit and we are not
              getting any teeth pulled. Studying the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and
              the Federalist Papers is a great insight to knowing your rights as an
              American. Learning from other Patriots what works and what doesn't is
              admirable qualities that most people do not want to take the time to learn
              or deal with, they are simply to scared to do anything and are in consent
              hope things will clear up and go better for them. In other words someone
              will come up with the magical silver bullet and our world will be saved.
              You and the rest of those reading this post know this is not how it works.
              Reality is that Bob Schultz like him or not. has gotten the grass roots
              movement going on the "Answer the questions on the Redress of Grievances"
              it is nation wide. Now the question is can we as patriots get behind such a
              movement and add to it the additional things that need to be done;
              impeachment of Bush, Congressmen and women, Senators, that are not abiding
              by the laws of our Constitution? Will WE THE PEOPLE (not affiliated with We
              the People of Colorado) let us join in and will they adapt and grow beyond
              the one thing they are doing right now? Can we get the Millions of Patriots
              together to fight for our rights in a collective bargaining unit to go in
              strength to the Capitol and oust the criminals and crooks and replace them
              with GOD Serving Servants of the People, for the People? Can we start one
              here in Colorado that will be able to remove Judges and Magistrates and
              Cannon those that are not elected to the point they are removed for the good
              of the public? I can tell you that as wild and crazy as it sounds Rick
              Stanley here in Denver along with the PACT is making a difference. It is
              real and is a grass roots movement to protect the pact members from corrupt
              courts, criminal JBT's, and defend the Constitution and Bill of Rights of
              those members of the Pact.
              As for the IRS. I gave them warning along with any JBT's that I would meet
              force with force should they try and commit crimes upon my family, myself,
              and my fellow pact members. I have filed complaints and evidence,
              documents, etc. in the area of some 5,500 papers with TIGA, IRS, DOJ, Etc.
              only to get back B.S. responses and especially TIGA who can and won't do a
              damn thing. SO WORDS AND THEIR LAWS do not work, what else is left to the
              American but, Self Defense and Protecting his GOD GIVEN RIGHTS.
              Good Day.
              Scott Williams
              Denver, Colorado
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2003
                Message

                U.S.C. Title 28 1746(1) Without Prejudice

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 5, 2003