Re: Advice Gung Ho Patrick

  • A. Person
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
      Patrick, have you considered a "credit counseling service" instead of
      bankruptcy? They can negotiate for pennies on the dollar with your
      creditors, stop the harassing phone calls & threats. Bankruptcy stays
      on your credit report for 10 yrs. Some states have free services
      readily available in the city you live in. Look in the yellow pages of
      your phone directory. If you do indeed decide to bankrupt, if I were
      you I would go for a Chapter 13 if it's a personal bankruptcy & a
      Chapter 7 if corporate. This advice comes from personal Hell &
      experience with this subject. Faye
      > > ey y'all, what are your thoughts and feelings on bankruptcy? To do
      > > or not to do? Does one become a "WARD" of the state if bankruptcy
      > is
      > > filed? If one is going to file bankruptcy do you reccomend having
      > an
      > > attorney do it or doing it pro se? Input appreciated as always!
      > >
      > > Gung-Ho,
      > > Patrick

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Utlage
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
        I agree with the credit counseling idea but as far as which chapter BK to file, the determining factors are:  If you are not behind on any secured credit (house, car, etc.) and you are trying to discharge unsecured credit only, go for a chapter 7.  If you are behind in the secured credit and you want to keep the items (house, car etc.) then you need to file chapter 13 which allows you to reorganize your situation so that you can keep those secured items and you can still elect to pay nothing to the unsecured creditors.   This comes from over 5 years in and out of the BK court and helping others do the same.

        There are other things to consider before making your decision of which chapter to file but they are minor and have to do with the equity in your secured property and the exemption limits of your state.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
          Patrick contact me privately keylaw@...

          > Patrick, have you considered a "credit counseling service" instead of
          > bankruptcy? They can negotiate for pennies on the dollar with your
          > creditors, stop the harassing phone calls & threats. Bankruptcy stays
          > on your credit report for 10 yrs. Some states have free services
          > readily available in the city you live in. Look in the yellow pages of
          > your phone directory. If you do indeed decide to bankrupt, if I were
          > you I would go for a Chapter 13 if it's a personal bankruptcy & a
          > Chapter 7 if corporate. This advice comes from personal Hell &
          > experience with this subject. Faye
          > > > ey y'all, what are your thoughts and feelings on bankruptcy? To do
          > > > or not to do? Does one become a "WARD" of the state if bankruptcy
          > > is
          > > > filed? If one is going to file bankruptcy do you reccomend having
          > > an
          > > > attorney do it or doing it pro se? Input appreciated as always!
          > > >
          > > > Gung-Ho,
          > > > Patrick

        • scott
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5 7:54 AM