Court Clerk Signature

  • dpatrick119
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
      Hey all,
      Is the signing of a WRIT OF EXECUTION by a court clerk proper
      procedure? If so or if not can someone tell me where I can find
      supporting informaiton? I am in Utah. Response greatly appreciated!

      Gung-Ho,
      Patrick
    • Dessie Andrews
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
        That is THE proper procedure

        Is the signing of a WRIT OF EXECUTION by a court clerk proper
        procedure? If so or if not can someone tell me where I can find
        supporting informaiton? I am in Utah. Response greatly appreciated!

        Gung-Ho,
        Patrick

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • puma@carlsbadnm.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
          Patrick,
          Yes that is a proper procedure. Further, if there was a fee paid in connection with the writ, that cost will be added to what you owe. Also there is interest running on the amount of the judgment against you, that increases what you owe on a daily basis. Your best bet to make this all go away, is to negotiate a payoff, or negotiate a payment plan with the judgment holder and then pay up.
          Hope that helps,
          Bud

          At 05:17 PM 09/02/2003, you wrote:
          Hey all,
          Is the signing of a WRIT OF EXECUTION by a court clerk proper
          procedure? If so or if not can someone tell me where I can find
          supporting informaiton? I am in Utah. Response greatly appreciated!

          Gung-Ho,
          Patrick

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          2bfd40c.jpg
          2bfd46d.jpg

        • shaffersys@cox.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2003
            Show me anywhere in the constitution the clerks were given this power?

            > From: "dpatrick119" <dpatrick119@...>
            > Date: 2003/09/02 Tue PM 07:17:45 EDT
            > To: tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [tips_and_tricks] Court Clerk Signature
            >
            > Hey all,
            > Is the signing of a WRIT OF EXECUTION by a court clerk proper
            > procedure? If so or if not can someone tell me where I can find
            > supporting informaiton? I am in Utah. Response greatly appreciated!
            >
            > Gung-Ho,
            > Patrick

          • Royce Mitchell, Jr
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
              The signature of the clerk constitutes signature of the judge in a default judgment. That is in the Rules.

              Respectfully,

              Royce
              Show me anywhere in the constitution the clerks were given this power?

              > From: "dpatrick119" <dpatrick119@...>
              > Date: 2003/09/02 Tue PM 07:17:45 EDT
              > To: tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [tips_and_tricks] Court Clerk Signature
              >
              > Hey all,
              > Is the signing of a WRIT OF EXECUTION by a court clerk proper
              > procedure? If so or if not can someone tell me where I can find
              > supporting informaiton? I am in Utah. Response greatly appreciated!
              >
              > Gung-Ho,
              > Patrick

            • Richard Johnson
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
                Here's the definition from law.com: ( http://dictionary.law.com/ )

                writ of execution
                n. a court order to a sheriff to enforce a judgment by levying on real or
                personal property of a judgment debtor to obtain funds to satisfy the
                judgment amount (pay the winning plaintiff).
                See also: execution

                execution
                n. 1) the act of getting an officer of the court to take possession of the
                property of a losing party in a lawsuit (judgment debtor) on behalf of the
                winner (judgment creditor), sell it and use the proceeds to pay the
                judgment. The procedure is to take the judgment to the clerk of the court
                and have a writ of execution issued which is taken to the sheriff (or
                marshal, constable or other authorized official) with instructions on what
                property to execute upon. In the case of real property the official must
                first levy (place a lien on the title), and then execute upon it (seize
                it). However, the judgment debtor (loser in the lawsuit) may pay the
                judgment and costs before sale to redeem real estate. 2) carrying out a
                death sentence.

                --
                Richard Johnson richard@...
                Cuis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cui bono?
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
                  What about personal property?

                  Richard Johnson <richard@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • John Wilde
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
                    Royce,

                        That is too general of a statement.  In most states, not all, but most, if it is a Court not of record, the Clerk has virtually no power.  Only the judge, magistrate, hearing officer, what ever title he/she may hold has the power to initiate process.

                        Only in Courts of Record does the court act through its clerk in certain areas.

                    g'day
                    John Wilde

                    Royce Mitchell, Jr wrote:
                    The signature of the clerk constitutes signature of the judge in a default judgment. That is in the Rules.

                    Respectfully,

                    Royce
                    Show me anywhere in the constitution the clerks were given this power?

                    > From: "dpatrick119" <dpatrick119@...>
                    > Date: 2003/09/02 Tue PM 07:17:45 EDT
                    > To: tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: [tips_and_tricks] Court Clerk Signature
                    >
                    > Hey all,
                    > Is the signing of a WRIT OF EXECUTION by a court clerk proper
                    > procedure? If so or if not can someone tell me where I can find
                    > supporting informaiton? I am in Utah. Response greatly appreciated!
                    >
                    > Gung-Ho,
                    > Patrick

                  • bowman7a
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003
                      I myself would want to see an original and recorded signed Power
                      Attorney document signed by the Judge giving the clerk the power, and
                      then I would want to see an original and recorded surety bond that is
                      required to be on file with the State Treasure.
                    • Denise and Scott Harclerode
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 3, 2003

                        In Texas, a writ of garnishment is issued by the clerk of the court.  Title 63 of the CPRC.

                        -s

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 5, 2003
                          This is a copy of Utah Civil Rule 69 - all the procedures you are
                          refering to are found under Provisional and Final Remedies and
                          Special Proceedings which are Utah Civil Rule 64A - 71B of the civil
                          rules. You can read the Civil Rules at
                          http://www.utcourts.gov/resources/rules/urcp/index.htm
                          Hope this helps..
                          John

                          Rule 69. Execution and proceedings supplemental thereto.

                          (a) Availability of writ of execution. A writ of execution is
                          available to a judgment creditor to satisfy a judgment or other order
                          requiring the delivery of property or the payment of money by a
                          judgment debtor.

                          (b) Property subject to execution. A writ of execution may be used to
                          levy upon all of the judgment debtor's personal property and real
                          property which is not exempt from execution under state or federal
                          law.

                          (c) Issuance of writ of execution. Unless otherwise ordered by the
                          court, a writ of execution may be issued at any time within eight
                          years following the entry of a judgment or order (except an execution
                          may be stayed pursuant to Rule 62), either in the county in which
                          such judgment was rendered, or in any county in which a transcript
                          thereof has been filed and docketed in the office of the clerk of the
                          district court. Notwithstanding the death of a party after judgment,
                          execution thereon may be issued, or such judgment may be enforced, as
                          follows:

                          (1) In case of the death of the judgment creditor, upon the
                          application of an authorized executor or administrator, or successor
                          in interest.

                          (2) In case of the death of the judgment debtor, if the judgment is
                          for the recovery of real or personal property or the enforcement of a
                          lien thereon.

                          (d) Contents of writ and to whom it may be directed. The writ of
                          execution shall be issued in the name of the State of Utah, and
                          subscribed by the clerk of the court. It shall be issued to the
                          sheriff or constable of any county in the state (and may be issued at
                          the same time to different counties) but where it requires the
                          delivery of possession or sale of real property, it shall be issued
                          to the sheriff of the county where the real property or some part
                          thereof is situated. If it requires delivery of possession or sale of
                          personal property, it may be issued to a constable. It must
                          intelligibly refer to the judgment, stating the court, the docket
                          number, the county where the same is entered or docketed, the names
                          of the parties, the judgment, and, if it is for the payment of money,
                          the amount thereof, and the amount actually due thereon. The writ may
                          be accompanied by a praecipe executed by the judgment creditor or the
                          judgment creditor's counsel generally or specifically describing the
                          real or personal property to be levied upon. It shall be directed to
                          the sheriff of the county in which it is to be executed in cases
                          involving real property, and shall require the officer to proceed in
                          accordance with the terms of the writ; provided that if such writ is
                          against the property of the judgment debtor generally it may direct
                          the sheriff or constable to satisfy the judgment, with interest, out
                          of the non-exempt personal property of the debtor, and if sufficient
                          non-exempt personal property cannot be found, then the sheriff shall
                          satisfy the judgment, with interest, out of the judgment debtor's non-
                          exempt real property.

                          --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, "Royce Mitchell, Jr"
                          <rmitchel@f...> wrote:
                          > The signature of the clerk constitutes signature of the judge in a
                          default judgment. That is in the Rules.

                          > Respectfully,
                          >
                          > Royce

                          Service.