wht to do in case of THEFT, or THEFT identity

  • Bowman7a
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2003
       corporate attorney sent this out to the employees in his company:

      We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on you in your name, address, SS#, credit, etc. Unfortunately I (the author of this piece who happens to be an attorney) have firsthand knowledge, because my wallet was stolen last month and within a week the thieve(s) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more.

      But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know. As everyone always advises, cancel your credit cards immediately, but the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them easily. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine, do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. If you have a scanner on your computer you can scan them and store it on a FLOPPY, not just on your hard drive. Also, file a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was stolen, this proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

      But here's what is perhaps most important: (I never ever thought to do this) Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and SS#. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit. By the time I was advised to do this, almost 2 weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done.

      There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them in their tracks.

      The numbers are:

      Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

      Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

      Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

      Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

      REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS: This message is being sent to you in compliance with the current Federal legislation for commercial e-mail (H.R.417 SECTION101Paragraph
      (e)(1)(A)) AND Bill s.1618 TITLE III passed by the 105th U.S. Congress. mailremove6@Bowman7a@...

      Do you Yahoo!?