just a question

  • joalaska
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2013
      I am not asking for help, just wanting to know if others even know about this or think this is OK.

      A friend in California told me a scary story today. He has a friend - the widow of a former male friend - who is living alone.  He helps her out from time to time, and today told me that this lady, OLDER lady but living alone, had gone to her doctor for a routine checkup and was told that she had early dementia. She had not noticed any issues, but was given some medication for it.

      Last week she got a notice from the state DMV that her doctor had sent them a letter saying  that she had been diagnosed with early dementia and they were taking her drivers license away. No hearing. No interview by any officials...no second opinion, just a letter saying her drivers license had been revoked.

      Is this something new? Is it part of Obamacare laws? Doesn't she have ANY right to a hearing or perhaps a road test with some official? She has never gotten a ticket, nor had any problems finding her way back home or ANYTHING like that.

      I thought our medical records were supposed to be private and not divulged without our permission.

      How is it that they can allow people with multiple DUI's to continue driving, but not someone like her?

      What OTHER medical conditions could result in losing your license....or what other conditions can be ADDED, whenever THEY choose? What if they said that diabetics MIGHT have a blood sugar issue, so no diabetics can drive? What about convicted drug users or drunk drivers? Even after INJURING PEOPLE, they get their licenses back.

      How would you find out if there are similar laws in YOUR state?

      Thinking about this I looked at my OWN situation. I live alone, 30 miles from town, and if my license was revoked I don't know what I would do! I have no public transportation available, and could not afford to live in an assisted living place in town....so how could I continue to live in my home?

      Makes me very worried.

      Any thoughts on this?