File - Reading List 4 Book Reports.txt

  • tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 1, 2013
      As moderator and owner of Tips & Tricks for going to court, I would like to see this group pointed more in the direction or practical litigation tactics. When people write in with their problems asking for solutions I would like to see more members of the group be able to offer practical, workable solutions that have a likelihood of success based on first hand study and research instead of old tired research that has been passed around so much it cannot be used in court because it is so far removed from its origin. As I see it, if group members would read law books and write book reports and post them to the group based on the usable ideas they glean from them, not only would the reader benefit, but group members as well. Below is the first list of books I would like group members to check out of the library, buy through Amazon.com, or acquire through interlibrary loans, read, and post book reports about. I would like to see some lively discussion respecting these books and expect that we will have some testimonies from people who have used what they learn both from reading the books, and reading and writing the book reports posted to Tips & Tricks. We don�t want to be like the dog who chases a car and when he catches it doesn�t know what to do. Let us be like �wise virgins� and be prepared.

      Most of us would like to win on our motions, so, here are some books on motions practice:

      Motions Practice and Persuasion by L. Ronald Jorgesen

      This book teaches new lawyers how to effectively make and oppose motions and help
      experienced lawyers create more original and innovative work. It teaches the basics of motion
      practice, with a particular focus on the written motion and provides expert advice on making
      motions more persuasive. It discusses the tools of persuasion and the marshaling of facts, law
      and form to produce a winning motion. Instead of merely laying out the rules, the book outlines
      the analysis that the lawyer must make in writing and presenting a motion.

      Motion Practice, Fourth Edition by Roger S. Haydock David F. Herr
      This comprehensive guide not only analyzes every applicable rule of civil procedure, but also gives you practice-proven techniques for evaluating what motions will work most effectively in each of your cases. From early pretrial motions dealing with complaints and jurisdiction to appellate motion practice for both victor and vanquished, Motion Practice, Fourth Edition shows you both what is permissible and what is advisable in such aspects of motion practice as: Formal requirements Strategic uses Use of supporting documents Effective advocacy Persuasive oral argument Ethical issues The authors include a table of deadlines affecting motions, along with sample forms and illustrative trial examples.

      A Guide To Motion Practice, by Samuel S Tripp

      Motion Practice by David F Herr

      Motions in Federal Court, Civil Practice by Shepards Mcgraw-Hill

      Civil motion practice: How To Win Without Trying by Marcus E Cohn

      Whether we are the plaintiff or the defendant we need to know how to do cross examination, so, here are some books on doing effective cross examination:

      Cross-examination: Science & Techniques by Larry S. Pozner, Roger Dodd

      The Art of Questioning : Thirty Maxims of Cross-Examination by Peter Megargee Brown
      Step by step, how lawyers and nonlawyers alike can learn to ask the right questions and get the answer they want, whether it�s in the courtroom or the boardroom.

      The Art of Cross-Examination by Francis L. Wellman
      With the cross-examinations of important witnesses in some celebrated cases. Wellman, one of the great nineteenth-century trial lawyers, made his reputation in the musty New York
      courtrooms of the 1880s and 1890s as assistant corporation counsel and assistant district
      attorney. In this volume he draws upon his own experiences and the brilliant achievements of
      other noted lawyers to explain and exemplify the principles of questioning. He quotes
      extensively from many memorable cases, utilizing them to illustrate both the manner and matter
      of cross-examination. He takes up the handling of the perjured witness and the expert, he
      underscores the importance of sequence, and he offers many insights into the psychology of the
      witness; showing that knowing when to elicit information, and when not to, is critical to the
      artistry of the advocate.

      Cross-Examination: The Comprehensive Guide for Experts by Steven Babitsky, James J., Jr. Mangraviti
      The ultimate measure of every expert is how well the expert performs during cross-examination. SEAK�s new text, Cross-Examination: The Comprehensive Guide For Experts will help experts quickly and efficiently master the art of responding to each and every cross-examination question truthfully and artfully. Experts will learn how to prepare for, anticipate, recognize, and effectively deal with counsel
      About the Author Steven Babitsky and James J. Mangraviti, Jr. are the nation's leading and most prolific authors and trainers on expert witness issues. They are both former trial lawyers whose past texts include: How To Excel During Cross-Examination: Techniques for Experts that Work, How To Excel During Depositions: Techniques for Experts that Work, and The Comprehensive Forensic Services Manual: The Essential Resources for all Experts. Attorneys Babitsky and Mangraviti have trained thousands of experts on the skills needed to be more effective and better assist the trier of fact.

      Tips member Klaus also recommends:

      "Making and Meeting Objections II" by Judge Robert A. Wenke, Published 1986 by Richter Publications, PO Box 3787, Long Beach, Calif. 90803-0787 (no phone number given), 96 pages, and is a pocket sized handbook which can fit into the inside pocket of a man's jacket. Amazon.com prices it at 20.95 +shpg. Don't seem to be many available at the moment but worthwhile having IMHO. Found this phone number with an ixquick search: 562-439-8059.

      From the introduction: "The objective of this handbook is to provide a means by which nonexpert trial lawyers can acquire a reasonable proficiency in using the rules of evidence applied throughout all jurisdictions in the United States." And further on in the intro: " . . . a good general understanding of the rules of evidence is essential to functioning effectively as a litigator."

      Here are some books on how to make effective closing arguments:

      Closing Arguments -- by Frederick Busch;

      Ladies And Gentlemen Of The Jury: Greatest Closing Arguments In Modern Law -- by Michael
      S. Lief

      In the Interest of Justice : Great Opening and Closing Arguments of the Last 100 Years by Joel
      Seidemann

      Closing Arguments: The Last Battle by Mike Papantonio, Fred Levin, Martin Levin

      There are even books on jurisdiction:

      Federal Jurisdiction (Introduction to Law) by Erwin Chemerinsky
      A Review: I'm a very average law student, and my federal courts class was stacked with the top 2nd and 3rd year students in my school. Despite this, I got the highest grade in the class. The reason...this book. This single most impressive book I have encountered in 3 years of law school. And if you plan to practice in the federal court system, this book is essential. Buy it.

      The Practice And Jurisdiction Of The Court Of Admiralty: In Three Parts by John E. Hall

      A Treatise on the Law of Lis Pendens: Or the Effect of Jurisdiction upon Property Involved in
      Suit by John I. Bennett

      Let�s study up on trial tactics:

      The Trial Lawyers : The Nation's Top Litigators Tell How They Win by Emily Couric

      The Underground Lawyer by Michael Louis Minns

      Trial : Theories, Tactics, Techniques by Roger S. Haydock, John Sonsteng

      Trial tactics;: A book of suggestions on the trial of cases, containing pertinent addresses by many well-known trial experts by Asher L Cornelius

      Trial tactics and methods by Robert E Keeton

      Successful trial tactics by Aaron Smith Cutler

      Basic expressions for trial lawyers: Supplement to Keeton, Trial tactics and methods by Robert
      E Keeton

      Eyewitness Testimony Strategies and Tactics/With Supplement: Strategies and Tactics by
      William Carroll, Edward Arnolds

      Questioning Techniques and Tactics by Jeffrey L. Kestler

      Dombroff on Unfair Tactics by Mark A. Dombroff

      Tips member Bob Gregory also recommends:

      Guerrilla Discovery
      by Ashley Lipson

      Strike and parry quickly and painfully during your next discovery confrontation. This battle-proven, tactician's guide offers dozens of creative forms, checklists, arguments, and strategies. Use it to: firmly establish your allegations, learn of additional counts or causes of action, discover and weaken the enemy's defenses, quickly eliminate fictitious and boilerplate defenses, obtain concessions and admissions, and coerce settlement.

      It is very good and also comes with a CD with a lot of stuff that can be cut and pasted.
    • tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com