Peace and Quiet via Currently Not Collectable

  • dave.wissel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2013
      CNC works. Never forget that the Taxpayer Advocate Service is NOT only for taxpayers and that notification of TAS involvement notification is supposed to reduce the revenue officer full court press. So use in tandem...TAS to force CNC.

      Definition: Currently Not Collectible means that a taxpayer has no ability to pay his or her tax debts. The IRS can declare a taxpayer "currently not collectible," after the IRS receives evidence that a taxpayer has no ability to pay. Such evidence is usually obtained from the taxpayer on IRS Form 433-F, Collection Information Statement. A taxpayer can request "currently not collectible" status by submitting Form 433-F to an IRS Revenue Officer or the IRS Automated Collection System unit.

      Once the IRS declares a taxpayer currently not collectible, the IRS must stop all collection activities, including levies and garnishments. The IRS must send an annual statement to the taxpayer stating the amount of tax still owed. This annual statement is not a bill.

      While in not collectible status, the 10-year statute of limitations on tax debt collection is still running. If the IRS cannot collect the tax within the 10-year statutory period, then the tax debts will expire.

      Being declared "currently not collectible" is one of five ways to get out of tax debt. A taxpayer facing significant financial hardships or tax debt burdens should seek the advice of a tax professional specializing in tax debts.

      Also Known As: CNC, transaction code 530
      Common Misspellings: currently not collectable

      --
    • braveheartinoregon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 10, 2013
        Hi!

        Do you know of anyone who can coach me through the Currently Not Collectable?

        Thanks!

        Bob

        p.s. I will pay! Not looking for a freebie!
      • mike gonnella
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 10, 2013
          Rochesterlaw.org they have conference calls listed and open forum.