Effect of "signed under duress" on Govern. Docs

  • hobot
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2013
      > Once in custody the jailers will want you to sign various
      > things and if you decline saying you do not understand and
      > need counsel first, they may charge you with Disorderly
      > Conduct-failure to sign, with its own trial date to deal with.

      > We need some feedback and examples on how to handle being
      > forced to sign things while in custody. If you sign you may
      < appear to some right or some defense.
      > hobot
      > >
      > > https://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/opinions/49cornyn/op/1999/htm/jc0153.htm
      > >
      > > No wonder the jailers told
      > > me when asking for a signature said, "Just sign it, don't put anything
      > > else on there."

    • Chuck East
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2013
        What about using V.C. or Vi Coactus, meaning signed under constraint.
        Wikipedia definition follows:

        Vi coactus

        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Jump to: navigation, search

        Vi coactus is a Latin term, abbreviated as V.C., and means: 'under constraint'. It is used to indicate an agreement made under duress.

        An example of its usage is that of the Dutch 17th century statesman Cornelius de Witt, who was forced to sign the act for restoration of Stadholderate. After all the entreaties by his wife, though he signed the contract but only before adding V.C. to his signature. [1][dead link]

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2013
          > It doesn't often seem that way, but the courts are essentially based on
          > mutual consent. They use words to trick you into thinking otherwise.
          > Several ago one of the Supreme Court justices (sorry I can't recall which
          > one right now) got a little attention (at least from a few folks that
          > aren't sound asleep) by saying that everyone in jail is there voluntarily.
          > I'm sure some folks on this list have a better memory than I and may
          > recall who said it.

          I've been saying it for years, based upon my years of experience in
          California where I have yet to see a proper arraignment, even in my own
          cases, even when the judge has said,, "Oh, you want a PROPER
          ARRAIGNMENT?", and then he goes on to fake one, and gets told, "close, but
          no cigar!" and then they put it off for another two weeks, until 9
          attempts (their seemingly maximum number) and then they dismiss for the
          speedy trial rule or otherwise "dispose" of the problem case.

          It's weird that in the nation in the world with the most prisoners, in the
          state with the most prisoners, all those prisoners are there because they
          were too lazy to read and think a little bit. They failed to have the
          curiosity necessary to find out what steps their opponents had to take to
          incarcerate or fine them, by reading the state constitution and Penal
          Code. They failed to notice and act appropriately when their opponents
          were unqualified to even speak in their presence in the courtroom! They
          made admissions and confessions (the source of 90+% of convictions.) They
          waive rights most times when asked to do so (beginning at the scene of the
          "crime"). Mostly, they're morons, as Mark Dice so frequently proves in his
          You-Tube videos.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7usCHnZ-8c