Popular Sovereignty In Which Every Citizen Partakes

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2013

      Will it be said that the fifty odd thousand citizens in Delaware, being associated under a State government, stand in a rank so superior to the forty odd thousand of Philadelphia, associated under their charter, that, although it may become the latter to meet an individual on an equal footing in a court of justice, yet that such a procedure would not comport with the dignity of the former? In this land of equal liberty, shall forty odd thousand in one place be compellable to do justice, and yet fifty odd thousand in 473#####473 another place be privileged to do justice only as they may think proper? Such objections would not correspond with the equal rights we claim; with the equality we profess to admire and maintain, and with that popular sovereignty in which every citizen partakes. Chisholm v. Georgia 2 U.S. 419, 472-3 (1793) Chief Justice Jay.

      Call me at: 720-675-7230

      On Skype: legalbear

      My blog: legalbearsblog.com