Student Loan Issue

  • Timothy
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2013
      In 1999, I paid off my student loans (which were owned by collector, SallieMae, by then) using promissory notes.

      After continued collection action on their part (which I answered faithfully and timely) they eventually sold the notes to California Student Aid Commission (EDFUND) who then began their own collection actions. This state agency ignored the paid status of the loans and obvious fraud on the parts of SallieMae and AFSA Data Services and determined my loan(s) to be in "default".

      I did an administrative judgment procedure against them and have electronic copies of all of that correspondence.

      Just prior to that time (1998) I got "charged" by the California DMV for car registration on a car that I sold and was reregistered out of state. Evidently they really wanted the $450 registration fees from me even though I no longer owned the car…

      They converted the "debt" to a tax lien through the California Franchise Tax Board and garnished my pay at the job I was working at.

      I mounted a huge battle against the gigantic corporation I worked for at that time, looking up all the California laws that pertain to lawful garnishments. Of course they never answered or acknowledged their duty to have a lawful court judgment before garnishing and ended up doing all the DMV's/FTB's dirty work to the tune of $960, the amount determined by DMV after late fees and interest payments were applied...

      Now the University of Nevada is going to garnish me for the old, paid debt to CSAC/EDFUND.

      Since I am an active graduate student, I don't have time to (unless I drop out of school to do so) research/cross-reference the corresponding Nevada laws pertaining to garnishments.

      I would be willing to pay someone to do the research for me. It should be easy enough based on documents I can provide:

      1. Original correspondence with SallieMae regarding the paid debt.

      2. Adminsitrative Judgment questions posed to three officials at CSAC/EDFUND.

      3. A complete and detailed list of all the California laws on lawful garnishment. (Of course, they didn't follow ANY of them and never answered my inquiries!)

      I don't have a large budget as a graduate student and since my university pay is not much (!) I am only looking at a monthly ding of $300 (it's still going to hurt!) so I would rather divert some of that money to someone from the group than to those vultures. Contact me off-list if you like to discuss this with me and I can send the docs described above.

      Thanks,

      Timothy
      timothyjohn0@...

      P.S. EDFUND did garnish me for a little while before I left California. They also sent the alleged debt to a collection agency several times who I answered as shown in the attached response letter.