Thomas Jefferson: We Must Educate Judges, Statesmen, & Legislatures

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2013

      From Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power page 469:

      Jefferson, Madison, and Marshall, among others, gathered in Charlottesville, Virginia to set up a university:

      “The mission, in Jefferson’s words, was to “form the statesmen, legislators and judges, on whom public prosperity and individual happiness are so much to depend.” He invested the enterprise with the highest of stakes, writing: “I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society, but the people themselves: and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is, not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power.”

      Every state needs one of these right next to the state sponsored law school.

      Call me at: 720-675-7230

      On Skype: legalbear

      My blog: legalbearsblog.com