Re: [tips_and_tricks] TIGTA: Use Credit Reports to Locate Taxpayer's New Addresses

  • lg900df@rock.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2013
      Correct! They have no authority to pry, so they do what government
      always does "Get someone else to do their dirty work."

      My suspicion is Experian is the major provider of information.

      The IRS DOES use Credit Reporting Agencies. A meeting with an IRS
      revenue officer confirmed that certain aspects of what he was saying
      could only come from a credit report.

      Often people get a very nice and cordial letter from the IRS asking
      to confirm their address. They don't have the ability to place you at
      a residence or within their service--only you can do that by either
      filing something or telling them your address as a taxpayer.

      Years ago I investigated  credit reporting agency files for
      correcting reports like those erroneous entries under Notice of
      Federal Tax Liens. They were very easy to remove from Transunion and
      Equifax. All letters though to Experian--even those to chief legal
      counsel or president--ended up on one woman's desk who shot back
      basically "Take it up with the IRS." I became suspicious at that time
      of some kind of connection whereby the IRS was a client.

      Years later I read where several Californian governments used
      Experian. Knowing California taxation is very close to the feds, I
      connected the dots.

      BTW: TSA ALSO uses credit reporting agencies to
      verify travelers without ID.

      Found in a Treasury Inspector General audit report:

      Locator services could be used to find current addresses during
      correspondence examinations
    • Roger Hattman