TIGTA: Use Credit Reports to Locate Taxpayer's New Addresses

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2013

      Found in a Treasury Inspector General audit report:

      Locator services could be used to find current addresses during correspondence examinations

      We believe that it is reasonable to assume that one technique taxpayers use to avoid meeting their Federal tax obligations is to change residences and not leave forwarding addresses. However, if they are using credit to make purchases, their personal information is recorded, maintained, and made available commercially by credit bureaus through locator services. Unlike the IRS Master File on which taxpayer addresses are not always current, the addresses in locator services are constantly updated. As a result, locator services are an important component of the IRS collection process and are routinely used and relied upon to find taxpayers and their assets in collecting delinquent taxes owed.

      Call me at: 720-675-7230

      On Skype: legalbear

      My blog: legalbearsblog.com

    • lg900df@rock.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2013
        Correct! They have no authority to pry, so they do what government
        always does "Get someone else to do their dirty work."

        My suspicion is Experian is the major provider of information.

        The IRS DOES use Credit Reporting Agencies. A meeting with an IRS
        revenue officer confirmed that certain aspects of what he was saying
        could only come from a credit report.

        Often people get a very nice and cordial letter from the IRS asking
        to confirm their address. They don't have the ability to place you at
        a residence or within their service--only you can do that by either
        filing something or telling them your address as a taxpayer.

        Years ago I investigated  credit reporting agency files for
        correcting reports like those erroneous entries under Notice of
        Federal Tax Liens. They were very easy to remove from Transunion and
        Equifax. All letters though to Experian--even those to chief legal
        counsel or president--ended up on one woman's desk who shot back
        basically "Take it up with the IRS." I became suspicious at that time
        of some kind of connection whereby the IRS was a client.

        Years later I read where several Californian governments used
        Experian. Knowing California taxation is very close to the feds, I
        connected the dots.

        BTW: TSA ALSO uses credit reporting agencies to
        verify travelers without ID.

        Found in a Treasury Inspector General audit report:

        Locator services could be used to find current addresses during
        correspondence examinations
      • Roger Hattman