Attorney Oscar Stilley's Six Week Hunger Strike in Prison

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2012

      Oscar Stilley’s Six Week Hunger Strike Continues

      Advocates for tax honesty will probably be familiar with the names Oscar Stilley and Lindsey Springer. They were sentenced to 15 years in prison to shut them up about a host of embarrassing deceptions they discovered and revealed about the Internal Revenue Code, the Privacy Act, and the disappearance of Internal Revenue Districts. Oscar Stilley was disbarred and finally railroaded into prison for his habit of speaking truth to power. Oscar continues to fight for justice even in prison. He is going into the 7th week of a hunger strike. He needs our help.

      I’ve only ever spoken to Oscar Stilley on the phone. Over the course of a couple weeks in 2007 or so, I paid Oscar for some of his time and legal expertise on a case I was pleading on my own. I guess we spent something like ten hours on the phone together talking about my case, and as guys will, about other things. We occasionally drifted far from hearsay and discovery into tree farming and philosophy. I felt like I got good value for my money on every topic.

      Oscar had a great interest in trees. I was living in a tropical climate at the time. He was excited by the variety, beauty, and utility of tropical trees. He was able to tell me the kinds of trees that grew in the country where I lived. He knew how the teak farm scam worked. He knew the best way to thin a stand of pine for maximum plank production.

      Arborists are people who take the long view. They are out of place in our quick-buck times, but we need them. Real prosperity and progress are impossible without a vision of the future.  The long view is often taken by men of conviction and principle, by men who respect and revere the land, and who pay more than lip service to concern for the prosperity of future generations.

      After working and talking with Oscar Stilley for just a few hours I never doubted that he was such a man.

      When I learned that he had been convicted of “tax crimes” and sentenced to an appalling fifteen years in prison I was stunned with the menacing injustice of it.  The severity of his sentence is in no way related to the magnitude of his alleged crimes. It is rather an indication that attorneys like Oscar, who believe in the rule of law and speak truth to power are all the more contemptible in the eyes of a corrupt judiciary for neglecting their duties as “officers of the court;” the courts deal severely with upstarts like Stilley.

      But locking up man like Oscar Stilley does not change him; it only refocuses his quest for justice. Oscar is a man with a reverence for rule of law and deeply held commitment to making the right moral choices. Putting him behind bars won’t change any of that. But insisting on justice in an environment of total state control is a risky and often futile proposition. Oscar will be in his seventh week of a hunger strike in the first week of September. If he were to quietly die his tormentors would win.

      I despair that I live in the kind of society that needs to lock up men like Oscar Stilley to silence them and scare others like him.  I’m appalled that so few Americans recognize the monstrous injustice of our state sponsored prison industry. I’m terrified that those of us who do will become targets for badge bearing thugs.

      Oscar needs our help now. I urge you to tell everyone you know about Oscar’s hunger strike and let his captors know we are watching.

      You can find out about it here: http://oastilley.wordpress.com/

      Here’s a little bit about Oscar: http://oastilley.wordpress.com/about/

      Here is contact information for those who we want to know that we are watching:

      ONTACT INFORMATION TO HELP OSCAR (cut and paste email addresses):

      Forrest City Prison – Timothy C. Outlaw, FCC Forrest City Warden – Fax: (870) 494-4496; Email: for/execassistant@...

      Bureau of Prisons, South Central Regional Office – Gerardo Maldonado, Jr. - (214) 224-3389; Email: scro/execassistant@...

      Charles E. Samuels, Jr., Director Federal Bureau of Prisons – Email: info@...

      Eic H. Holder, Jr., Attorney General of the U.S – AskDOJ@...