Constitutional Construction: Doubt Removed by Reference to Assoc. Words

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2012

      “We can only reply by looking at the object of the constitutional provision, and construing the terms "agreement" and "compact" by reference to it. It is a familiar rule in the construction of terms to apply to them the meaning naturally attaching to them from their context. Noscitur a sociis is a rule of construction applicable to all written instruments. Where any particular word is obscure or of doubtful meaning, taken by itself, its obscurity or doubt may be removed by reference to associated words. And the meaning of a term may be enlarged or restrained by reference to the object of the whole clause in which it is used.” Virginia v. Tennessee, 148 US 503, 519 - Supreme Court 1893

      Call me at: 720-675-7230

      On Skype: legalbear

      My blog: legalbearsblog.com