Re: [tips_and_tricks] First Amendment Right to not speak

  • gary2666@centurytel.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
      I suppose this could be stretched to cover not answering questions on the stand or in front of the IRS, but I don’t see it being accepted by either of those entities.  Can anyone cite a case or an IRS interview where this was used and accepted as a justification for not answering questions?  My research capabilities are severely limited these days.

      The case cited seems to apply to the right not to express in public a position/statement mandated by the state.  That is hardly the same as refusing to answer direct questions.

      Gary

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
        --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, gary2666@... wrote:

        > but I don't see it being accepted by either of those entities.
        > Can anyone cite a case or an IRS interview where this was used and
        > accepted as a justification for not answering questions? My
        > research capabilities are severely limited these days.

        One does not ask the opposition for permission to do
        anything. The case was presented for thoughtful
        expansion as one's imagination and determination
        will carry.

        Your research abilities are not all that is severely
        limited.
      • Legalbear
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2012

          The privilege against self-incrimination protects against governmental compulsion to answer questions, not against voluntary conversation. In situations where a person is free to speak or not to speak at all, the privilege is generally not applicable. Minnesota v. Murphy, ___ U.S. ___, 104 S.Ct. 1136, 1142-43, 79 L.Ed.2d 409 (1984). One exception to this general rule relates to statements obtained from suspects in police custody. Because custodial interrogation is ordinarily conducted by officers who are acutely aware of the potentially incriminating nature of the disclosure sought and because the custodial setting contains "inherently compelling pressures which work to undermine the individual's will to resist and to compel him to speak where he would not otherwise do so freely," statements obtained during custodial interrogation are constitutionally inadmissible unless the suspect has first been warned of his privilege against self-incrimination and his right to counsel and thereafter voluntarily, knowingly, and intelligently waives these rights. Miranda v. Arizona, 384 U.S. 436, 467, 86 S.Ct. 1602, 1624, 16 L.Ed.2d 694 (1966). The Miranda safeguards, however, do not apply "outside the context of the inherently coercive custodial interrogations" for which the safeguards were designed. Murphy, 104 S.Ct. at 1144, quoting Roberts v. United States, 445 U.S. 552, 560, 100 S.Ct. 1358, 1364, 63 L.Ed.2d 622 (1980).

          Statements freely made by an incarcerated defendant to an ostensible friend, who unknown to the defendant is acting as a police informant, are not the product of any sort of coercion, legal or factual, and for this reason are not made under the inherently coercive circumstances contemplated by Miranda. See Hoffa v. United States, 385 U.S. 293, 303-04, 87 S.Ct. 408, 414-15, 17 L.Ed.2d 374 (1966). In this case the defendant's conversations with Ross were freely entered into, as is obvious from the testimony of both Ross and the defendant, as well as from the uncontroverted fact that the defendant returned Ross' phone calls. Thus, the admission of the statements into evidence did not violate the defendant's privilege against self-incrimination. People v. Aalbu, 696 P. 2d 796 - Colo: Supreme Court 1985

          Call me at: 720-675-7230

          On Skype: legalbear

          My blog: legalbearsblog.com

        • frogfrmr@frogfarm.org
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2012
            http://news.goldseek.com/GoldenJackass/1341518400.php

            This is a good list of elements of the Grand Scheme to destroy the middle
            class. Too bad they still are mostly unaware. If only Americans knew the
            current lawful definition of the word "dollar" and acted as though they
            knew!

          • frogfrmr@frogfarm.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2012

              > --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com, gary2666@... wrote:
              >>
              >> but I don't see it being accepted by either of those entities.
              >> Can anyone cite a case or an IRS interview where this was used and
              >> accepted as a justification for not answering questions? My
              >> research capabilities are severely limited these days.
              >
              > One does not ask the opposition for permission to do
              > anything. The case was presented for thoughtful
              > expansion as one's imagination and determination
              > will carry.
              >
              > Your research abilities are not all that is severely
              > limited.

              "Entities" need specially qualified people to speak and act for them,
              unless those requirements are waived for some reason, such as by
              agreement.

              I require that all qualifications be fulfilled before I let anyone
              interrogate me, and if I'm in custody, I demand counsel be present, and he
              has to be qualified as well.

              Did I ever mention? Hardly anyone anywhere is qualified anymore.

              The game has been over for a long time, yet many continue to pretend to
              play. Someday it will be obvious to everyone, such as it became to those
              who once cowered in fear of the Commissar in the USSR.