Judge takes on the system

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2003
      Thursday, July 3, 2003

      -------------------------- LAW OF THE LAND 10 Commandments judge defies
      court order
      Alabama chief justice won't remove granite monument from state building

      -------------------------- Posted: July 3, 2003 3:30 p.m. Eastern

      By Jon Dougherty

      --------------------------- © 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

      Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore vowed yesterday to keep a 2½ ton granite
      monument
      depicting the Ten Commandments in the rotunda of the judiciary building in
      Montgomery,
      in defiance of a federal appeals court order to have the testimonial
      removed.

      "We must defend our rights and preserve our constitution," Moore told
      reporters. "For
      the federal courts to adopt the agenda of the ACLU (American Civil Liberties
      Union) and
      to remove the knowledge of God and morality from our lives is wrong."

      Moore, who penned a treatise regarding his battle to retain the monument in
      this month's
      Whistleblower magazine, WND's monthly print publication, says he's not sure
      if he'll ask
      the federal courts to rehear his case or appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court,
      CNN reported.

      On Tuesday, the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta ruled
      unanimously that the
      monument must be removed from the judiciary building because it represented
      government promotion of a particular religion, in violation of the First
      Amendment.

      In its decision, the panel compared Moore to Southern officials and
      governors of the past
      who refused to integrate schools after being ordered to do so by federal
      courts.

      The court also predicted Moore would lose if he appealed the decision to the
      Supreme
      Court. "If necessary, the court order will be enforced. The rule of law will
      prevail," the
      judges wrote.

      Moore insisted he is upholding the rule of law. "The rule of law must
      prevail in this case,"
      he told reporters.

      The chief justice, who has become known as the "Ten Commandments judge," was
      sued
      by the ACLU after placing the monument in the courthouse in the middle of
      the night in
      July 2001.

      The four-foot tall monument features the Commandments inscribed on two
      tablets along
      with historical quotations.

      Philip Drake, Moore's attorney, said federal courts, along with the three
      lawyers who
      sued, have misconstrued the true intent and real meaning of the
      Constitution, CNN said.

      Drake maintains that the First Amendment says only that Congress shall make
      no law
      "respecting the establishment of religion."

      "This monument is not a law respecting the establishment of religion," Drake
      said.

      The federal appeals court saw it differently.

      "If we adopted his position, the chief justice would be free to adorn the
      walls of the
      Alabama Supreme Court's courtroom with sectarian religious murals and have
      decidedly
      religious quotations painted above the bench," the judges wrote in their
      50-page ruling.
      "Every government building could be topped with a cross, or a menorah, or a
      statue of
      Buddha, depending upon the views of the officials with authority over the
      premises."

      The Michigan-based Thomas More Law Center, which filed a brief on behalf of
      Moore,
      noted the appeals ruling came one week after another federal appellate
      court, the 3rd
      Circuit in Philadelphia, upheld display of the Ten Commandments on a wall
      outside a
      courthouse.

      "Because there appears to be a conflict between the decisions of these
      appellate courts,
      we hope the United States Supreme Court will review these cases and reaffirm

      government's ability to acknowledge in public our religious heritage,
      especially the moral
      foundation of our law," said Edward L. White III, associate counsel for the
      legal group.

      Moore first drew national attention after posting a wooden, hand- carved
      plaque of the
      Ten Commandments in his courtroom while a state court judge in Gadsden, Ala.
      The
      Civil Liberties Union of Alabama and the state of Alabama unsuccessfully
      sued Moore in
      1995 over his actions.

      He then mounted and won by a landslide margin an election to the Alabama
      Supreme
      Court in 2000, which he viewed as a mandate from the people to "restore the
      moral
      foundation of law."

      For mailing use: Excellence Unlimited, 2830 27th St. Ln. #B115, Greeley, CO
      80634-7849; 970-330-3883 fax 810-958-6113
      www.legal-research-video.com <http://www.legal-research-video.com/>
      www.legalbears.com
      www.freedivorceforms.net
      http://www.stores.ebay.com/bearscomputersandlawresearch
    • Utlage
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2003
        It would be interesting to find out just who has title/owns the courthouse.  Many government buildings are just leased.
[...]

        Save up to 80% on top-quality inkjet cartridges and get your order fast!
        FREE shipping on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada. Shop at Myinks.com!
        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/v2G7ND/KfUGAA/ySSFAA/aQSolB/TM