Florida Bill Proposes to Eliminate Judicial Immunity

  • Ron Branson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2012

      http://gaveltogavel.us/site/2012/01/09/florida-bills-would-provide-additional-funding-for-courts-but-only-if-judicial-immunity-is-retroactively-ended-and-judicial-disciplinary-commission-changed/comment-page-1/#comment-21112

      Florida bills would provide additional funding for courts, but only if judicial immunity is retroactively ended and judicial disciplinary commission changed

      January 9th, 2012 by Bill Raftery    Leave a reply »

      Ever since the 2006 effort in South Dakota to end judicial immunity and allow for civil and criminal prosecution for judicial decisions, called bluntly enough JAIL4Judges, legislators have taken an interested in similar efforts. Simultaneous with this interest has been the ongoing state budgetary crises. For the second time in as many years, Florida legislators are looking to consolidate both issues (seehere for my post on the 2010 effort).

      SB 1524 requires a retroactive elimination of judicial immunity in a variety of specified contexts dealing with court proceedings.  Additionally, it expands the Judicial Qualifications Commission (JQC) and requires JQC investigation panels include at least 5 “common citizen electors” as a staff committee, none of whom may be “officers of the court” and who must prepare a separate report on the investigation that is to be made publicly available. Both the state courts system in general, and the JQC in particular, would be subject to an immediate audit by the state’s Auditor General and the Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability conduct full audit review of commission, a review to be repeated every two years.

      Additionally, SB 1524 requires the Supreme Court create a plan “promoting civics for residents of this state, together with education concerning the judicial branch in order to develop trust and confidence in the state’s judicial system.” It also creates unified family courts, teen courts, drug courts and mental health courts in each judicial circuit.

      If SB 1524, “or similar legislation” is passed, the provisions of SB 1526 would/could go into effect. That bill creates a Fiscal Stability Trust Fund to be administered by the Supreme Court and into which would be placed an automatic, guaranteed 1 percent of the state’s General Revenue Fund. The bill also declares “the judicial branch of state government shall be held harmless in years of fiscal deficits in the state as a matter of public safety” and permits revenues in the Fiscal Stability Trust Fund to remain in the fund at the end of every fiscal year.

      Both bills have been prefiled in the Senate, with no committee assignments as of yet.

      2 comments

      1. I find this news report very interesting. I am the person who wrote and promoted jail4judges placed upon the ballot in South Dakota in 2006. I was informed that there is absolutely no need for judicial accountability within South Dakota, as all their judges were not misbehaving.

      2. Mymessage was mocked, and massive amounts of money was spent to entirely turn jail4judges on it head, including saying to South Dakotans that my goal was to release felons from their prison cells so that they could go after the jurors that convicted them and had them go to prison.
      1. Also,it was propagated that the judicial immunity I was going after included all government positions, as everyone in government was covered by judicial immunity. This included school boards, city counsel members, administrative agencies, etc. The objective was to scare everyone in SD that I was out to get them. Further, I was mocked because I printed a 1996 article in which I stated that the people will lose their jobs, their homes, their farms, and their business is an economic collapse. This occurred starting the very next year after jail4judges was rejected.
      2. According to this current news article, it appears that more was going on in the background than meets the eye. It states, “legislators have taken an interest in similar efforts.” Why would this be necessary if all is well in Dodge City, and they do not need jail4judges? This remedy is still available, and I will promise you that the people reading this have seen nothing yet in the area of economic disaster if the people continue to reject jail4judges. Everyone will do well to use their search engine and look up judicial accountability initiative law!

      3. I am Ron Branson, and now you have the Gospel Truth!