Founders Cared About Feelings

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2011

      The protection guaranteed by the Amendments is much broader in scope. The makers of our Constitution undertook to secure conditions favorable to the pursuit of happiness. They recognized the significance of man's spiritual nature, of his feelings and of his intellect. They knew that only a part of the pain, pleasure and satisfactions of life are to be found in material things. They sought to protect Americans in their beliefs, their thoughts, their emotions and their sensations. They conferred, as against the Government, the right to be let alone — the most comprehensive of rights and the right most valued by civilized men. To protect that right, every unjustifiable intrusion by the Government upon the privacy of the individual, whatever the means employed, must be deemed a violation of the Fourth Amendment. And the use, as evidence 479#####479 in a criminal proceeding, of facts ascertained by such intrusion must be deemed a violation of the Fifth. Olmstead v. United States, 277 US 438, 478-9 - Supreme Court 1928 Justice Brandeis dissenting

      Call me at: 720-675-7230

      On Skype: legalbear

      My blog: legalbearsblog.com