L.A. City Fix-it Ticket Scam

  • Ron Branson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2011

      L.A. City Fix-It Ticket Scam

      "For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers."  Matthew 23:4

      In the days of Chr-st, the politicians of the day loved to legislate heavy rules and regulations upon the People, but would exempt themselves from such burdens. Two thousand years later this same practice is still employed.

      A number of years ago, this author received a parking ticket through the mail accusing him of a parking in an area he had never been at the time of accused offense. Nevertheless, the City demanded payment of $55. I responded by certified mail, which was signed for. I next received a notice from the City that because I had not responded to the citation, nor paid the fine, I now owed them something like $122.

      I responded with a tort claim with the City of L.A. and told them I would settle the matter for $2000 and a letter of apology. They responded, "Sue Us." So I did. The City hired a law firm and the litigation went on for five years, running the City's legal costs to over $100,000. I raised Constitutional questions of due process regarding the manor they employed in processing their parking tickets.

      This author knows a retired employee of the District Attorney's Office familiar with the process by which her fellow employees would get their vehicular violations dismissed.

      From the below Los Angeles Times article, we learn that the City of L.A. had a special "gold" desk designed for dismissal of parking tickets for themselves, their family members, and their political friends. Truly we have a repeat of the Scripture, "For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers."  Matthew 23:4

      Ron Branson

      http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0631-gold-card-desk-20110702,0,4704706.story?page=1&obref=obinsite

      List of Los Angeles parking ticket dismissals growing

      L..A. council offices were among users of a special desk, the 'Gold Card Desk,' that had parking citations canceled.

      City officials disbanded the Gold Card Desk in May amid public outrage that the city of Los Angeles had a special unit that took care of parking citations.

      By Ricardo Lopez and Ari Bloomekatz, Los Angeles Times

      July 1, 2011

      Despite claims by many top Los Angeles officials that they had never heard of a special service to review parking citations, newly released documents show several City Council offices benefited from the so-called Gold Card Desk by securing dozens of ticket dismissals.

      Some of the dismissals involved relatives of local officials or helped council offices quash political fires among irate constituents, the records show.

      Officials disbanded the Gold Card Desk in May amid public outrage that the city had a special unit that took care of parking citations. The Times this week reviewed about 4,800 pages of parking ticket records covering a two-year period to determine whose tickets were handled by the desk. The review showed a number of community groups, businesses and city agencies received reviews and dismissals.  ....