passports and SSN's

  • dave
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2011

      “In addition, according to State officials, State cannot compel a passport applicant to provide a Social Security Number (SSN). As a result, State's records sometimes did not contain a valid SSN, which is necessary to match passport data to IRS data.”

      http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-11-272

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6230 (20110622) __________

      http://www.eset.com
    • MadDogMarine
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2011
        > http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-11-272 [1]

        Most interesting link. Now we know the real reason the Dept of State has
        been
        pushing the issue of obtaining SSN's for passports.

        "Have unpaid taxes,will not travel"

        These criminals know no end to their scheming.
      • hobot
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2011
          Duh, that's what SSN is for, even on driver lic. applications, so I don't have Dr. lic. just
          a passport w/o SSN. The passport SSN requirement reference only applies to TIN/EIN
          no personal SSN, so no issue and no penalty to leave it off, unless you apply as a US
          PERSON. Duh. Passports are for safe passage through foreign countries and United
          States is a foreign country to those with domicile in Untied States of America.  The
          cases that say different do not apply to this situation and Customs Dept knows it.

           hobot