Re: Justice Souter on Unreliable Drug Dogs

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9 2:30 PM
      The totally FUN way to deal with a canine 'peace officer' is to subpoena them to deposition before trial and without their 'partner':

      [Potential transcript:]

      "Tell me 'Officer' Rin-Tin-Can, in your own words, about the training you have undergone."

      "Arf!"

      "On the day in question, tell me what you ate for breakfast."

      "Arf!"

      "Tell me the differences between the smell of talcum powder and the smell of cocaine."

      "Arf!"

      [Pretty quickly, one can establish that 'Officer' Rin-Tin-Can is a DOG and NOT a competent witness. (And probably NOT a 'real' peace officer because he/she is probably lacking a valid Oath of Office.)]

      "Legalbear" <bear@...> wrote:

      > This is from Illinois v. Caballes
      > <http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=106223355465396
      > 70066&q=prejudge&hl=en&as_sdt=4,60> , 543 US 405 - Supreme
      > Court 2005. During a speeding stop they managed to have a
      > drug dog sniff the car while the warning ticket was being
      > written. The dog alerted on the trunk. They found marijuana
      > and the speeder was so busted. The Supreme Court affirmed
      > the conviction, so, the speeder stayed busted. Here's what
      > Justice Souter had to say about drug dogs:
    • dave
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9 4:13 PM
        The dog is unable and unwilling to be coached by the prostitutor and hence makes a more reliable witness.