RE: [tips_and_tricks] When adequate compensation can't be had at law...

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2011
      > But it has been well settled, that, when a plain official duty,
      > requiring no exercise of discretion, is to be performed, and
      > performance is refused, any person who will sustain personal injury by
      > such refusal may have a mandamus to compel its performance; and when
      > such duty is threatened to be violated by some positive official act,
      > any person who will sustain personal injury thereby, for which
      > adequate compensation cannot be had at law, may have an injunction to
      > prevent it. In such cases, the writs of mandamus and injunction are
      > somewhat correlative to each other. In either case, if the officer
      > plead the authority of an unconstitutional law for the non-performance
      > or violation of his duty, it will not prevent the issuing of the writ.
      > An unconstitutional law will 14*14 be treated by the courts as null
      > and void;" citing Osborn v. Bank of the United States and Davis v.
      > Gray. Pennoyer v. McConnaughy, 140 US 1, 13-14 (1891).

      The problem is that people have to have the initiative (guts) to go for
      the writ in a timely fashion. When they do, they realize the power they
      do have.

      Here, they call them writs of mandate and prohibition. Mandate makes
      them perform a duty; prohibition stops them from taking an action.
      There can be no discretion involved.

      I once used a writ of mandate very effectively. It was like I was the
      prosecutor and the judge was the defendant. Lots of fun! It's your
      power to make sure things are done right. Waive it, and you might
      regret it.