The Right to be Left Alone

  • Legalbear
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2011

      The Fourth Amendment "is not an adjunct* to the ascertainment of truth." The guarantees of the Fourth Amendment stand "as a protection of quite different constitutional values—values reflecting the concern of our society for the right of each individual to be let alone. To recognize this is no more than to accord those values undiluted respect." Tehan v. United States ex rel. Shott, 382 U. S. 406, 416.  Schneckloth v. Bustamonte, 412 US 218, 242 (1973).

      *Adjunct: added or connected in a secondary or subordinate position; auxiliary—I interpreted this to mean that you have a right not to tell the government everything; in fact, a right to hide stuff from them! They do not want you to know this!!

      I had seen this comment in a dissenting opinion; this is in a majority decision!

      http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=4378189236447054894&q=%22is+not+an+adjunct+%22&hl=en&as_sdt=4,60

      Phone Contact: 720-675-7230

      Best times to call: 8:30 am-9:00 pm MST

      Bear's Pages: www.irsterminator.com www.legalbears.com www.legalbearsblog.com