Re: [tips_and_tricks] Acceptable level of interference of government in your life?

  • Jake
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011
         > Whoa, pardner!  We have unalienable rights to firehouses, roads and such?
      I submit the government is instituted among men to secure the people's  rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of (money) happiness.  The Federal government isn't instituted to provide me with anything other than protection from those that would deny me my listed rights.  There's no income or housing or medical care listed as rights.  Nor can they be.

      Now don't take my statements out of context.  I didn't say the people have unalienable rights to fire departments, highways & such, but they do have the right to build such things, including the right to create a government to handle large projects the people themselves cannot handle on their own.

      And don't confuse the federal gov't. with State and/or local gov'ts. - the federal gov't. is specifically limited by the U.S. Constitution & while the States have their own constitutions, it's easier to change things @ the State or local level & when it comes to fire depts., roads, schools, etc., those are local issues which should be dealt with locally - or Statewide for some.

      The States' biggest mistake has been to accept $$$ from the federal gov't. thereby putting themselves under the thumb of Washington, D.C. (district of criminals).

      Also, regarding housing, medical, etc. "rights", they can be created by statute, but of course they do not have status equivalent to "unalienable" rights & are really "privileges".

      ~ ~ ~

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011
        If I may....

        A lot of what we have today was not around 231 years ago.  Today we have luxuries like paved highways, hospitals, fire departments, and as much as I despise them- police.

        I am not a fan of overspending, I despise any abuse of the civil rights of ANYONE in the United States (citizens and visitors alike), but we have luxuries that weren't there before.  That is the role of the government.  To do for the citizen what the citizen cannot do for themselves.  Provide services and luxuries for the citizens, that would not be there without the government.  The defend the citizens in time of war or help them in times of disasters.  NOT to be our baby sitter.

        If you are part of the community, expect to meet certain responsibilities.  The next time someone's house burns down, the firefighters may be volunteers but they are not paying for the tools and supplies to fight your house fire out of their pocket.  It comes from the community pocket.

        But in no way do I endorse the abuse of our rights.  There is a fine line between a responsive & respectable government and the government we have now. And they can't see that.

        Or perhaps they just don't want to see it.

        I can respect a certain amount if intrusion in exchange for the luxuries.  But by no means does that mean they have the right to my life.