Re: It's A-OK for the IRS to summarily take your stuff! Yeah, right...thanks a lot S.Ct.

  • Patrick McKEE
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 20, 2011

      The PRINCIPLE kind of sounds like WITHHOLDING, DOESN'T it?

      In 1939 only about five percent of American workers paid income tax. The United States ' entrance into World War II changed that figure. The demands of war production put almost every American back to work, but the expense of the war still exceeded tax-generated revenue. President Roosevelt's proposed Revenue Act of 1942 introduced the broadest and most progressive tax in American history, the Victory Tax. Now, about 75 percent of American workers would pay income taxes. Because so many citizens paid the tax, it was considered a mass tax. To ease workers' burden of paying a large sum once a year, and to create a regular flow of revenue into the U.S. Treasury, the government required employers to withhold money from employees' paychecks. Additional taxes were put in place in 1943. By war's end in 1945, about 90 percent of American workers submitted income tax forms, and 60 percent paid taxes on their income. The federal government covered more than half its expenses with new income tax revenue."

      http://www.irs.gov/app/understandingTaxes/jsp/whys/lp/IWT2L5lp.jsp

      Of course with WITHHOLDING people may be TELLING their employer to WITHHOLD a tax from their paychecks that they may NOT even be LIABLE for.

      Purpose. Complete Form W-4 so that your employer can withhold the correct federal income tax from your pay. Consider completing a new Form W-4 each year and when your personal or financial situation changes.

      Exemption from withholding. If you are exempt, complete only lines 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 and sign the form to validate it. Your exemption for 2010 expires February 16, 2011. See Pub. 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.

      Basic instructions. If you are not exempt, complete the Personal Allowances Worksheet below.

      Privacy Act and Paperwork Reduction Act Notice. We ask for the information on this form to carry out the Internal Revenue laws of the United States . Internal Revenue Code sections 3402(f)(2) and 6109 and their regulations require you to provide this information; your employer uses it to determine your federal income tax withholding. Failure to provide a properly completed form will result in your being treated as a single person who claims no withholding allowances; providing fraudulent information may subject you to penalties.

      http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

      26 USC 3402. Income tax collected at source

      (a) Requirement of withholding

      (1) In general

      Except as otherwise provided in this section, every employer making payment of wages shall deduct and withhold upon such wages a tax determined in accordance with tables or computational procedures prescribed by the Secretary. [REST OMITTED]

      n) Employees incurring no income tax liability

      Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, an employer shall not be required to deduct and withhold any tax under this chapter upon a payment of wages to an employee if there is in effect with respect to such payment a withholding exemption certificate (in such form and containing such other information as the Secretary may prescribe) furnished to the employer by the employee certifying that the employee—

      (1) incurred no liability for income tax imposed under subtitle A for his preceding taxable year, and

      (2) anticipates that he will incur no liability for income tax imposed under subtitle A for his current taxable year.

      The Secretary shall by regulations provide for the coordination of the provisions of this subsection with the provisions of subsection (f).

      http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00003402----000-.html

      Exemption from federal income tax withholding. Generally, an employee may claim exemption from federal income tax withholding because he or she had no income tax liability last year and expects none this year. See the Form W-4 instructions for more information. However, the wages are still subject to social security and Medicare taxes. See also Invalid Forms W-4 on page 17.  IRS Publication 15, (Circular E), Employer’s Tax Guide, page 15

      http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf

      Patrick in California

      Founder, ALLIANCE for PEACE & PROSPERITY

      "It ain't what ya don't know that hurts ya. What really puts a hurtin' on ya is what ya knows for sure, that just ain't so." -- Uncle Remus

      --- In tips_and_tricks@yahoogroups.com , "joalaska" <joalaska@...> wrote:

      >   No wonder THEY are so eager to have all checks 'directly deposited'....makes it that much easier to just take YOUR money and let you fight to get it back!

    • BOB GREGORY

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10, 2011

          Witholding was proposed by economist Milton Freidman who also instructed the govt. that it was only to be used for the 2nd world war effort….otherwise it would screw up the economy.

          People hold up the Al Capone case as the ultimate tax evader …but such was NOT the case. As Patrick revealed the income tax was largely UNHEARD of. Very few people arose to the level to require payment. According to sources, Al Capone was heard to remark paraphrased, “A tax payable to the federal government? Huh? Well pay them….I pay off all the other government officials and there is no law on that…what’s 3%...big deal…cheap protection money…pay em!’”

          The AL Capone case was mock-tried at a law school around 1990….Al was acquitted.

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5863 (20110210) __________

          http://www.eset.com