Re: [tips_and_tricks] Importance of Capitalization

  • The Handyman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 19, 2011
      While Barry is permitting some humor I think it is also important to be grammatically correct and this will help you to remember about a dangling participle.

      On his 74th birthday, a man got a gift certificate from his wife.
      The certificate paid for a visit to a medicine man living on a nearby reservation who was rumored to have a wonderful cure for erectile dysfunction.
      After being persuaded, he drove to the reservation, handed his certificate to the medicine man, and wondered what he was in for.
      The old man handed a potion to him, and with a grip on his shoulder, warned,'This is powerful medicine. You take only a teaspoonful, and then say '1-2-3.'
      When you do, you will become more manly than you have ever been in your life, and you can perform as long as you want."
      The  man was encouraged.  As he walked away, he turned and asked, "How do I stop the medicine from working?"
      "Your partner must say '1-2-3-4," he responded, "but when she does, the medicine will not work again until the next full moon."
      He was very eager to see if it worked so he went home, showered, shaved, took a spoonful of the medicine, and then invited his wife to join him in the bedroom.
      When she came in, he took off his clothes and said, "1-2-3!"  Immediately, he was the manliest of men.
      His wife was excited and began throwing off her clothes,and then she asked, "What was the 1-2-3 for?"

      And  that, my friends, is why we should never end our sentences with a preposition, because we could end up with a dangling participle.

    • Cactus Charlie
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2011
        Proper punctuation is next.  The following is the affect of a "comma fault:"

        "Not getting any better, come home!"

        "Not getting any, better come home!"

        Yours For Freedom,

        Cactus Charlie
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2011
          > No just thought it a cute example to offer the list and maybe a court
          > that ignores
          > the way a name is written to ID someone or something.

          I know the Q in IQ stands for quotient. What does the D in ID stand
          for?

          That's what I say when I am asked for "ID".

          P.S. "Do you live around here?"

          Ans. Do either of us look dead? No? Then it looks like we both
          live right here, doesn't it?