NFTL affects getting a job

  • dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2010

      Notice of Federal Tax Lien now depriving people of employment….it’s a big contributor to a negative score.

      Can your Credit Affect Your Chances of Getting a New Job?

      The short answer is yes.  We hear this question a lot and I have
      written a few emails on the subject matter.   It all started when  I
      came across an article by Lisa Pulliam Weston who writes for MSN
      Money and The Los Angeles Times.  Since then I have traded dozens of
      emails with our members.  The bottom line is that currently and in
      most cases your credit will be checked if you are one of the final
      candidates considered for a professional job.

      In the article, Mrs Pullman wrote, "Many employers -- including the
      federal government -- routinely scour credit reports on current and
      prospective employees to help decide who's hired or fired."  So
      regardless of your desire to find a public or private sector job,
      most companies are using your report as factor prior to making a job
      offer.  Since writing the article,  some states are considering
      banning this practice.

      Companies and the federal government routinely check credit but this
      recent downturn in the economy has made maintaining a positive credit
      score more difficult. The Society for Human Resource Management
      reports 35% of companies pulled credit on current or potential
      employees last year, up from 19% in 1996.  (

      Most people think their credit will not be a problem, however, credit
      files can contain correctable errors.  Employers are looking for
      severe marks on your credit history and will generally overlook a few
      late payments.

      Not knowing what is on your credit file is a gamble you should not
      take. There are many steps you can take to improve your credit and
      remove items that are old or not accurate.  It all starts with
      knowing what your credit looks like. Mrs. Pulliam suggests checking
      your credit a few times a year.
      ]

      Cheers,
      Mike